From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> This is a new thread. See old stuff for history.
>>
>> Does everyone realize that at this point in the troubleshooting
>> procedure - if time is money (and for many people it is) and even if
>> it is not a *lot* of money (let's go with $1.00 / hour - U.S.) that
>> this problem has gone on long enough now to afford a replacement
>> computer with likely more CPU power, more hard drive space and a
>> better video device without all the current trouble by now, eh? ;-)
>>
>> I mean - really - this computer could be defective.
>>
>> Just throwing that out there... *grin*
>>
> You are 99-44/100 percent right, but the other 0.56% is the
> spirit of the scientist who wants to know *why*. I would be
> willing to drop the issue any time John wants to throw in
> the towel, and I will thank him a thousand-fold for his
> invaluable assistance, perseverance, and resourcefulness.
>
> Meanwhile, we are quite close to the solution, as my posting later
> this morning will indicate. Getting the Network thing and also
> the ever-intrusive Norton background scans out of the way has
> given me, overnight, two runs which ran two hours before going
> into hibernation.

To make the successful runs on my Clone system, John, I did
not do Clean Boot, but I Disabled the Networks Connection from Control
Panel, and turned off all Norton Anti Virus (disconnecting from
the line, of course). Oh, I unplugged printer and camera but I
don't expect that is pertinent. I'll see to the Norton part, but
what's your take on the 'Networks Connection' thing? Isn't that
vital to communicating with he web?
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>>
>>> Does everyone realize that at this point in the troubleshooting
>>> procedure - if time is money (and for many people it is) and even if
>>> it is not a *lot* of money (let's go with $1.00 / hour - U.S.) that
>>> this problem has gone on long enough now to afford a replacement
>>> computer with likely more CPU power, more hard drive space and a
>>> better video device without all the current trouble by now, eh? ;-)
>>>
>>> I mean - really - this computer could be defective.
>>>
>>> Just throwing that out there... *grin*
>>>
>> You are 99-44/100 percent right, but the other 0.56% is the
>> spirit of the scientist who wants to know *why*. I would be
>> willing to drop the issue any time John wants to throw in
>> the towel, and I will thank him a thousand-fold for his
>> invaluable assistance, perseverance, and resourcefulness.
>>
>> Meanwhile, we are quite close to the solution, as my posting later
>> this morning will indicate. Getting the Network thing and also
>> the ever-intrusive Norton background scans out of the way has
>> given me, overnight, two runs which ran two hours before going
>> into hibernation.
>
> To make the successful runs on my Clone system, John, I did
> not do Clean Boot, but I Disabled the Networks Connection from Control
> Panel, and turned off all Norton Anti Virus (disconnecting from
> the line, of course). Oh, I unplugged printer and camera but I
> don't expect that is pertinent. I'll see to the Norton part, but
> what's your take on the 'Networks Connection' thing? Isn't that
> vital to communicating with he web?

Yes, the web is a network and all your network traffic flows through
your network adapter, without it you will not be able to get on the web.

So what happens if you keep all your Norton stuff turned off and enable
the adapter?

Also make sure that power saving is not enabled on the adapter. Right
click on the network adapter and select "Properties" then click on the
"Configure" button for the adapter then click on the "Power Management"
tab and make sure that the "Allow the computer to turn off this device
to save power" is *not* selected.

John
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> You are 99-44/100 percent right, but the other 0.56% is the
>>> spirit of the scientist who wants to know *why*. I would be
>>> willing to drop the issue any time John wants to throw in
>>> the towel, and I will thank him a thousand-fold for his
>>> invaluable assistance, perseverance, and resourcefulness.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, we are quite close to the solution, as my posting later
>>> this morning will indicate. Getting the Network thing and also
>>> the ever-intrusive Norton background scans out of the way has
>>> given me, overnight, two runs which ran two hours before going
>>> into hibernation.
>>
>> To make the successful runs on my Clone system, John, I did
>> not do Clean Boot, but I Disabled the Networks Connection from Control
>> Panel, and turned off all Norton Anti Virus (disconnecting from
>> the line, of course). Oh, I unplugged printer and camera but I
>> don't expect that is pertinent. I'll see to the Norton part, but
>> what's your take on the 'Networks Connection' thing? Isn't that
>> vital to communicating with he web?
>
> Yes, the web is a network and all your network traffic flows through
> your network adapter, without it you will not be able to get on the web.
>
> So what happens if you keep all your Norton stuff turned off and enable
> the adapter?
>
> Also make sure that power saving is not enabled on the adapter. Right
> click on the network adapter and select "Properties" then click on the
> "Configure" button for the adapter then click on the "Power Management"
> tab and make sure that the "Allow the computer to turn off this device
> to save power" is *not* selected.
>
> John
That will be my next step, this morning, and thank you, John.
From: Unknown on
You give up too easily.

From: William B. Lurie on
This last set of comments comes at a funny time, namely, I believe
we have just solved the problem. First on my clone, and now on my
Master drive, I got the system to hibernate at two hours by making
what I believe are *only* two changes.

First, Network Connections.....>>Power Options....
Do *not* allow it to turnoff device.........

Second, in Norton Anti-Virus, set it for 'Silent Mode'
(whatever that means) and set its 'Idle Time Scan' for the
maximum it allows, namely six hours.

It has hibernated at 2 hours twice so far, and I intend to give it
more opportunities........

But that Norton 'feature' to me is something I'm going to complain
to them about. If I don't want it to scan except when I want it to,
I should have that privilege! They really do too many things that
way...you know, the 'Big Brother knows best' syndrome.

Unknown wrote:
> You give up too easily.
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> This is a new thread. See old stuff for history.
>> Does everyone realize that at this point in the troubleshooting
>> procedure - if time is money (and for many people it is) and even if it is
>> not a *lot* of money (let's go with $1.00 / hour - U.S.) that this problem
>> has gone on long enough now to afford a replacement computer with likely
>> more CPU power, more hard drive space and a better video device without
>> all the current trouble by now, eh? ;-)
>>
>> I mean - really - this computer could be defective.
>>
>> Just throwing that out there... *grin*
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP