From: Unknown on
Probably only one? Norton Idle Time Scan. Guessed it was Norton from the
beginning.
Great you found it.

From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:

> Yes, the web is a network and all your network traffic flows through
> your network adapter, without it you will not be able to get on the web.
>
> So what happens if you keep all your Norton stuff turned off and enable
> the adapter?
>
> Also make sure that power saving is not enabled on the adapter. Right
> click on the network adapter and select "Properties" then click on the
> "Configure" button for the adapter then click on the "Power Management"
> tab and make sure that the "Allow the computer to turn off this device
> to save power" is *not* selected.
>
> John

In retrospect on this project, John, now that it's just about finished,
I hope we all learned something from it, including people who have
been watching silently.

I've thought about your early comments that there are a few dozen
'services' that are active but will never be used, and wondered if
it would speed things up to disable them. I could start with one
of the lists you created, but I'm more inclined to say we now have
it where it ain't broke, so I shouldn't fix it.

And just once more: Thank you for all your efforts.

Bill
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> John John - MVP wrote:
>
>> Yes, the web is a network and all your network traffic flows through
>> your network adapter, without it you will not be able to get on the web.
>>
>> So what happens if you keep all your Norton stuff turned off and
>> enable the adapter?
>>
>> Also make sure that power saving is not enabled on the adapter. Right
>> click on the network adapter and select "Properties" then click on the
>> "Configure" button for the adapter then click on the "Power
>> Management" tab and make sure that the "Allow the computer to turn off
>> this device to save power" is *not* selected.
>>
>> John
>
> In retrospect on this project, John, now that it's just about finished,
> I hope we all learned something from it, including people who have
> been watching silently.
>
> I've thought about your early comments that there are a few dozen
> 'services' that are active but will never be used, and wondered if
> it would speed things up to disable them. I could start with one
> of the lists you created, but I'm more inclined to say we now have
> it where it ain't broke, so I shouldn't fix it.
>
> And just once more: Thank you for all your efforts.

You're welcome, Bill.

John
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10