From: SkippyPB on
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:08:54 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>In article <4desb5ha41jiqjuf4scuf8naml6krrmt91(a)4ax.com>,
>SkippyPB <swiegand(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
>>On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:48:06 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net>
>>wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>>Does "ATM" include transaction machines at the checkout counters of
>>>stores? I would expect those transactions to be where most of the
>>>action is, swiping our cards as we buy groceries or gasoline or
>>>whatever.
>>
>>These transactions were done at POS and ATM terminals and the only
>>things counted were actual debit/credit transactions. They involved
>>three applications (Savings, Checking, Line of Credit).
>
>It always confused me... I've consulted with a few banks of some size,
>here and there, and they always seem to know where every penny comes from,
>where it goes and how it gets accounted for every step of the way...
>EXCEPT when it comes to ATM (or POS) fees, when asked about those the
>stock response is 'Oh, we don't really have a way to calculate/segregrate
>them.'
>
>I figure that if it can show up as a line item on my statement there must
>be *some* way to address it as a particular kind of transaction... but
>what do I know, I'se jes' a COBOL-codin' fool.
>
>DD

Depending on what system the banks are using they may not know where
their input comes from. But the system I support does know and, by
bank option, can charge per transaction if they wish. Some of the
"foreign ATM" stuff is actually done by the ATM software or third
party servicer and passed to the bank. More and more banks are using
third party servicers to handle all of their ATM and POS traffic and
just passing the debit and or credit and or fee back to the host
mainframe.

Regards,
--
////
(o o)

"Reality is a big, nasty, vicious dragon,
but I don't believe in dragons."
-- Anonymous

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve