From: JIMBECOOL on
hello all,
i am doing an active directory migration - windows 2000 to windows
2003.
i have gotten to the point where i have successfully migrated the
first
global group and been prompted to create the sourcedomain$$$ local
group and
the tcpipclientsupport registry key and account management auditing in
both
source and target domains.
i have been following the admt v3 migration guide with no problems
thus far.
in summary i have:
- migrated all user accounts to the target domain disabled
- translated a single user profile

however when i tried to migrate the corresponding workstation - the
migration works and
the agent restarts the workstation successfully, but the post checks
fail
with the following error:
unable to retrieve the DNS hostname for the migrated computer .... the
adsi
property cannot be found in the property cache. (hr=0x8000500d)
if i try continuing ignoring this error, i am unable to login to
either
source or target domain because of an error relating to there is no
computer
account in the security database.

any assistance is welcomed.

From: Paul Bergson [MVP-DS] on
The one thing you can check is too see if the account that is doing the
migration is a local admin on the workstation. This is a requirement to
migrate the workstation.

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

From: JPTH on
May I ask why decision was to migrate instead of installing additional
server as windows 2003,
promote to be secondary domain controller, so your 2K AD will be upgraded to
2K3 AD?
Or it is because domain name change? I guessed!

Just curious because I have single domain 2K AD, and will roll out upgrade
by promote one of
W2K3 server to be secondary domain controller and then we will have W2K3
AD/Domain

Just some thoughts,
J.H