From: Jeff on
Gary, did you ever find resolution to this problem? We have exactly the same issue on a 2003 terminal server. Any install takes FOREVER, but the server itself runs fairly well. This was a dedicated server, but we've since virtualized it on VMWare. It was slow before, and it is slow now. We've moved it from hardware to hardware and it does the same thing everywhere. We're 100% confident that it isn't a hardware problem.

Gary Carter wrote:

We ran a full diagnostic of the server (didn't think to include thatin my
15-May-08

We ran a full diagnostic of the server (didn't think to include that
in my original post)

I cheked the event viewer. There are no errors I can see related to
the installer. Just an informational message at the completion of the
install.

Thanks,

Gary

On Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:19 PM
gwc4 wrote:

Server 2003 software and windows updates installs VERY slow
Hello,

Any software or windows update related installs take FOREVER on our 2003
server. During installs, I will see the msiexec.exe windows installer
process in the task manager taking on average 13% of the CPU. There are no
other users on the server, antivirus is disabled, etc.

This server has been in operation for over a year. This issuse started a
few months ago. I have not been able to tie it to any changes made to the
server.

Applications run fine it is just installs that take forever.

server 2003 SP2
terminal services mode
Dell PowerEdge 6800 2 2.66GHz dual core Xeon processors w/4 GB RAM

windows installer version is 3.1.4000.4042.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gary

On Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:50 AM
Meinolf Weber wrote:

Hello gwc42,Run some hardware diagnostics to check the harddisk, also check
Hello gwc42,

Run some hardware diagnostics to check the harddisk, also check the event
viewer for errors.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

On Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:51 AM
Gary Carter wrote:

We ran a full diagnostic of the server (didn't think to include thatin my
We ran a full diagnostic of the server (didn't think to include that
in my original post)

I cheked the event viewer. There are no errors I can see related to
the installer. Just an informational message at the completion of the
install.

Thanks,

Gary

Crypto Obfuscator for .NET - Product Review
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bf15c41b-6510-403e-9af8-f5fd987fafb1/crypto-obfuscator-for-ne.aspx