From: Matthew Wells on
Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Double clicking a form's title bar in design to maximize it takes about 3
minutes.
Saving takes at least 5 minutes.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a P4 with 2GB ram and 60GB HD with 20GB
free.
I also have Access 2003 installed.
I have tested with no other apps open, without the aero scheme, and I've
never had the RSS menu bar up.

My database is only 30MB. I've decompiled it, created a new file and
imported the objects, etc.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.

--
Matthew Wells
matthew.wells(a)firstbyte.net

From: Stuart McCall on
"Matthew Wells" <matthew.wells(a)firstbyte.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
>
> Double clicking a form's title bar in design to maximize it takes about 3
> minutes.
> Saving takes at least 5 minutes.
>
> I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a P4 with 2GB ram and 60GB HD with 20GB
> free.
> I also have Access 2003 installed.
> I have tested with no other apps open, without the aero scheme, and I've
> never had the RSS menu bar up.
>
> My database is only 30MB. I've decompiled it, created a new file and
> imported the objects, etc.
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Matthew Wells
> matthew.wells(a)firstbyte.net

I have seen similar behaviour on one machine running Access 2003 on win xp.
In that case the cause was found to be an old version of Symantec
anti-virus. An upgrade to the latest version fixed the problem. I'm not
saying this is definitive, but it's easy enough to temporarily disable
whatever av software you're running (if any) and see if that improves
matters..

Hope that helps.

From: Matthew Wells on
Thanks for the tip, but it didn't help. I happen to have an old (11d)
version of SAV so I thought you hit the nail on the head. I restarted the
box and it still had the same problems. I can understand how the AV would
slow down saving, but what freezes it when maximizing a form or datrasheet?

From: Albert D. Kallal on
I would check out a few things:

Are you talking about design mode, or just doing data entry, but no design
of the application?

Also, is this a split application, or any linked tables?

If your talking about design mode, then check for a printer that is not
attached, but is your default. (access attempts to talk to that printer, and
a network timeout can take quite a long time).

Other things can be mapped drives or linked tables to a back end mdb/accDB
that does not exist.

If you gone through the following list here:
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

If the basic tips like a persistent connection don't help, and other things
in the above list,
then I would be back to some type of security or scanning software.

Also, does this slow occur in all access applications you have, or just one
particular one?
(eg: local only, no network stuff etc.)

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: Matthew Wells on
I've checked a few things based on the articles:

I changed my default printer to a local printer.
I checked that my AV wasn't checking network drives.
-- I am using a mapped drive --
The path is only two levels down. (no long names)
The filename is 8.3
I've never had Track Name -> AutoCorrect on

On linked tables (which I don't use much as my forms are unbound), when I
set the subdatasheet name to {None], it resets to [Auto}. I did some
googling and found a routine that actually did the job. If anyone wants it,
I'll post it.

I still have the same problems.