From: Mikey on
I am trying to get a 2008 sbs running as efficiently as I can & was
wondering about a couple of things.
1) I know it wants to be the DHCP server on a network, but what about
for wireless clients? I have a wireless sonicwall TZ-170 for wireless
laptops to connect to. They really don't need network access, just
internet, so can I leave this running, as long as the addresses it
hands out aren't in my same network?
2) Although the bought an SBS, the customer is not & probably won't be
running exchange for a while. Can I remove exchange all together? I
really see no reason to install exchange SP2, either, for that
matter.
3) Can I remove/disable ipV6?
Thanks-
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
1.) Yes.
2.) I would recommend installing it now, regardless, and updating as
appropriate, since trying to install later will be a pain. And I think the
customer would be foolish not to use the Exchange. But that's between you
and the customer.
3.) Absolutely NOT. (and it doesn't make you more secure, regardless of what
you've read.) Uninstalling IPv6 will break SBS. Full stop.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] on
Along with Charlie's thoughts

On the Exchange.
Would the client like to be notified on how the backups are doing or the
over all status of the server is doing?

Then yes Leave Exchange.

Mikey
I would also wonder why the client doesn't want.

Email Backed up in a central location.
(If they are using POP3 Their PC dies their email and contacts die with it.)
Spam Filtering by IMF and RBL's
Sharing Email and Contacts in Public Folders
Ability to Connect Smart Phones and iPhones.
The Ability To Share Contacts, Folders, Send as another person and all the
other features of Exchange 2007 (too Numerous to mention here.)

Is there a reason they don't want to increase productivity and reliability
in their mail?
Heck for most businesses' just the ability of the Admin to See others
Calendars is enough to move them to use Exchange.

Reason I ask, is because I'm always intrigued why people don't want Cool and
productive products that make life easier more productive, and they've
already paid for it?

It's like buying a car and never driving it.. IMO
Are they using a Hosted Exchange?

Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC

From: Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] on
Since you mentioned Efficiently
other than the Suggestions Charlie Mentioned which were Spot ON

You can tweak SQL Memory usage to use lower.
A typical SBS2008 STANDARD with AV can run at 6GB easily
(I recommend 8 GB For a Standard Min with no additional tools on it.)

You can always buy more memory...
Russ