From: BrianAlex on
Need to upgrade an HP pavillion 513n xp home which has 256 MB RAM
which is 266MHz 2100 PC 184 pin non ECC (If I remember all this
correctly). The local budget electronics wherehouse place only has
333MHz 2700 PC.
They say it will work fine in the empty slot and will not have any
issues running with the slower chip in the 1st slot. We were thinking
512 MB would speed this machine up nicely and $ is a factor. Will this
work? Are the kids at "Fry's" correct? Much thanks BA
From: relic on

"BrianAlex" <Brianorion5(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Need to upgrade an HP pavillion 513n xp home which has 256 MB RAM
> which is 266MHz 2100 PC 184 pin non ECC (If I remember all this
> correctly). The local budget electronics wherehouse place only has
> 333MHz 2700 PC.
> They say it will work fine in the empty slot and will not have any
> issues running with the slower chip in the 1st slot. We were thinking
> 512 MB would speed this machine up nicely and $ is a factor. Will this
> work? Are the kids at "Fry's" correct? Much thanks BA

All memory sticks will run at the slower speed.

From: Raoul Watson on
BrianAlex wrote:
> Need to upgrade an HP pavillion 513n xp home which has 256 MB RAM
> which is 266MHz 2100 PC 184 pin non ECC (If I remember all this
> correctly). The local budget electronics wherehouse place only has
> 333MHz 2700 PC.
> They say it will work fine in the empty slot and will not have any
> issues running with the slower chip in the 1st slot. We were thinking
> 512 MB would speed this machine up nicely and $ is a factor. Will this
> work? Are the kids at "Fry's" correct? Much thanks BA

You need PC-2100-DDR, I wouldn't mess with any other spec. Why get 256?
get 512mb it's only about $25. I am amazed XP runs on 256 to be honest.
From: BrianAlex on
On Mar 8, 9:14 am, Raoul Watson <Wats...(a)IntelligenCIA.com> wrote:
> BrianAlex wrote:
> > Need to upgrade an HP pavillion 513n xp home which has 256 MB RAM
> > which is 266MHz 2100 PC 184 pin non ECC (If I remember all this
> > correctly). The local budget electronics wherehouse place only has
> > 333MHz 2700 PC.
> >  They say it will work fine in the empty slot and will not have any
> > issues running with the slower chip in the 1st slot. We were thinking
> > 512 MB would speed this machine up nicely and $ is a factor. Will this
> > work? Are the kids at "Fry's" correct? Much thanks BA
>
> You need PC-2100-DDR, I wouldn't mess with any other spec. Why get 256?
> get 512mb it's only about $25. I am amazed XP runs on 256 to be honest.

Yeah,thanks. Actually I said we planned to add 512. I got some bum
data about this and had to return the RAM. The machine specified uses
a faster speed and we got 1 G of this because they didn't stock 512. I
took out the 256 stick that was in there because it WAS 266 MHz 2100.
HP site says 400 MHz.PC3200 so we got that ($38).
From: BrianAlex on
On Mar 9, 12:09 pm, BrianAlex <Brianori...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 9:14 am, Raoul Watson <Wats...(a)IntelligenCIA.com> wrote:
>
> > BrianAlex wrote:
> > > Need to upgrade an HP pavillion 513n xp home which has 256 MB RAM
> > > which is 266MHz 2100 PC 184 pin non ECC (If I remember all this
> > > correctly). The local budget electronics wherehouse place only has
> > > 333MHz 2700 PC.
> > >  They say it will work fine in the empty slot and will not have any
> > > issues running with the slower chip in the 1st slot. We were thinking
> > > 512 MB would speed this machine up nicely and $ is a factor. Will this
> > > work? Are the kids at "Fry's" correct? Much thanks BA
>
> > You need PC-2100-DDR, I wouldn't mess with any other spec. Why get 256?
> > get 512mb it's only about $25. I am amazed XP runs on 256 to be honest.
>
>  Yeah,thanks. Actually I said we planned to add 512. I got some bum
> data about this and had to return the RAM. The machine specified uses
> a faster speed and we got 1 G of this because they didn't stock 512. I
> took out the 256 stick that was in there because it WAS 266 MHz 2100.
> HP site says 400 MHz.PC3200 so we got that ($38).

" I am amazed XP runs on 256 to be honest. "

Tell me about it. It was very slow.
My Dell came with 126 MB 266MHz. PC2100 and I had a dial-up
connection.I watched TV while I waited for anything to get done.