From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax on
If we have a 24 bit input signal at 48kHz is there any benefit to be
had processing it at 24/96?
From: Rune Allnor on
On 29 Jul, 15:50, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bru...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> If we have a 24 bit input signal at 48kHz is there any benefit to be
> had processing it at 24/96?

The data sampling parameters at the ADC decide what can be done
with the data. There are no benefits to cranking up the processing
speed unless you already have a processing chain specifically
tuned to deal with 24bit / 96 kHz data.

Rune
From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax on
On 29 July, 14:55, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 29 Jul, 15:50, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bru...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If we have a 24 bit input signal at 48kHz is there any benefit to be
> > had processing it at 24/96?
>
> The data sampling parameters at the ADC decide what can be done
> with the data. There are no benefits to cranking up the processing
> speed unless you already have a processing chain specifically
> tuned to deal with 24bit / 96 kHz data.
>
> Rune

So interpolating to 96kHz will not preserve any extra information
during subsequent arithmetic?
From: Greg Berchin on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:50:06 -0700 (PDT), Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
<dirk.bruere(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>If we have a 24 bit input signal at 48kHz is there any benefit to be
>had processing it at 24/96?

Possibly. Does your processing include anything that can be considered
modulation, such as dynamic range compression? If so, then it generates
modulation products that can alias to audible frequencies if the sampling rate
is too low.

Greg
From: Rune Allnor on
On 29 Jul, 15:57, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bru...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 July, 14:55, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
> > On 29 Jul, 15:50, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bru...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > If we have a 24 bit input signal at 48kHz is there any benefit to be
> > > had processing it at 24/96?
>
> > The data sampling parameters at the ADC decide what can be done
> > with the data. There are no benefits to cranking up the processing
> > speed unless you already have a processing chain specifically
> > tuned to deal with 24bit / 96 kHz data.
>
> > Rune
>
> So interpolating to 96kHz will not preserve any extra information
> during subsequent arithmetic?

If done right, interpolation would *preserve* what is already there.
You would not *gain* anything, though.

Rune