From: robert bristow-johnson on
i know it's not DSP, but i thought people on the list would have some
experience, opinions, and knowledge.

whether it's a microphone going into a preamp or mix board, or an
electric guitar going into a guitar amp, how does impedance matching
(or mismatching) affect *tone*?

the way i see it (as an EE) is:

1. that if one of either the source or load impedance has reactive
components and the other is resistive, changing the resistance will
change the simple RC filter and the corner frequency of it, thus
changing the tone.

2. if both source and load impedance are mostly resistive, changing
one or the other will only change the level, not the waveshape. if
the input to the pre-amp or amp has some nonlinearity, a louder level
will push that stage into the nonlinear region which will change the
waveshape and affect the timbre.

other than that, i do not understand the why "impedance matching" is
considered so important in audio. it's not like we need to maximize
power transfer (in micro watts) from the transducer or pickup into the
input of the amplifier. and, at audio frequencies (and the length of
cables), reflections along the transmission lines (due to impedance
mismatch) should not be an issue either.

why can't a low-impedance source simply connected to a high-impedance
load suffice? why are matching transformers needed (unless level is
important)?

--

r b-j rbj(a)audioimagination.com

From: Steve Pope on
robert bristow-johnson <rbj(a)audioimagination.com> wrote:

>why can't a low-impedance source simply connected to a high-impedance
>load suffice? why are matching transformers needed (unless level is
>important)?

Many audio connections are in fact a low-impedance source connected
to a high impedance load.

Using transformers on some connections is thought to prevent ground loops.
Matched connections (e.g. a 600 ohm load), when they are used, are
thought to prevent hum on long lines. I'm not sure how scientific
either of these beliefs are.

Steve
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
robert bristow-johnson <rbj(a)audioimagination.com> wrote:
> i know it's not DSP, but i thought people on the list would have some
> experience, opinions, and knowledge.

> whether it's a microphone going into a preamp or mix board, or an
> electric guitar going into a guitar amp, how does impedance matching
> (or mismatching) affect *tone*?

As far as I know, the usual case is that a high impedance
microphone should not have too long of a cable. The cable
capacitance and the microphone impedance make a low pass
filter, which will reduce the high frequencies.

Pros use low impedance so that they can use long cables
without a significant effect on the high frequencies.

Otherwise, the mismatch will mean a smaller signal,
more amplification, and more noise.

-- glen
From: Greg Berchin on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:20:18 -0700 (PDT), robert bristow-johnson
<rbj(a)audioimagination.com> wrote:

>whether it's a microphone going into a preamp or mix board, or an
>electric guitar going into a guitar amp, how does impedance matching
>(or mismatching) affect *tone*?
>
>the way i see it (as an EE) is:
>
>1. that if one of either the source or load impedance has reactive
>components and the other is resistive, changing the resistance will
>change the simple RC filter and the corner frequency of it, thus
>changing the tone.

This is probably the most significant source of tonal change -- simple passive
filter concepts applied to the frequency response of the components.

>2. if both source and load impedance are mostly resistive, changing
>one or the other will only change the level, not the waveshape. if
>the input to the pre-amp or amp has some nonlinearity, a louder level
>will push that stage into the nonlinear region which will change the
>waveshape and affect the timbre.

A secondary effect, at most. My response to customers complaining about how bad
equipment sounds when pushed into nonlinearity is, "Don't do that."

>other than that, i do not understand the why "impedance matching" is
>considered so important in audio. it's not like we need to maximize
>power transfer (in micro watts) from the transducer or pickup into the
>input of the amplifier.

That depends. For microphones and phonograph cartridges this can be very
important. Also don't forget that mechanical transducers form resonant systems,
so the impedance relationships affect not only bandwidth, but Q.

>and, at audio frequencies (and the length of
>cables), reflections along the transmission lines (due to impedance
>mismatch) should not be an issue either.

Exactly. The wavelengths are so large compared to the length of the conductor
that transmission line effects don't even come into play.

>why can't a low-impedance source simply connected to a high-impedance
>load suffice?

Generally they can.

>why are matching transformers needed (unless level is
>important)?

Do you mean something like a 600 Ohm system? Generally it's for level matching.
I think it's pretty much a holdover from the vacuum tube days, where high output
impedances were common.

Greg
From: robert bristow-johnson on
On Jul 29, 1:30 pm, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> robert bristow-johnson  <r...(a)audioimagination.com> wrote:
>
> >why can't a low-impedance source simply connected to a high-impedance
> >load suffice?  why are matching transformers needed (unless level is
> >important)?
>
> Many audio connections are in fact a low-impedance source connected
> to a high impedance load.

i know. i'm having a discussion with someone who designs custom
pickups and he has a version that transformer couples the output to
the guitar amp. it's a step-up which increases the voltage (and
decreases current) by the turns ratio factor and also the apparent
source impedance (by the square of the turns ratio). now my thinking
is that this is a levels issue (the louder level in the guitar amp
makes for a hotter sounding pickup), but he insists that the reason is
impedance matching and that results in a "better tone".

> Using transformers on some connections is thought to prevent ground loops..
> Matched connections (e.g. a 600 ohm load), when they are used, are
> thought to prevent hum on long lines.  I'm not sure how scientific
> either of these beliefs are.

i dunno if the matched connection is responsible for suppressing hum,
or if it's the natural differential input that a transformer primary
winding is. you get a damn good common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR)
with a transformer floating around in all this low-frequency slew of
E&M radiation.

r b-j
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: 24/48 v 24/96
Next: Data-path accuracy in IIR filters?