From: Andy on
Hi guys, i am having a connectivity problem with a 2950 switch, and it
is showing the error below. i did an upgrade to an image that if
working fine on other 2950s, and still having the same problem, after
the upgrade the disconnectivity is getting more frequent,

SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5

I am planning to change the image through Xmodem, eventhough i believe
it might not solve the problem, i did my research and i found a lot of
chinese and russian feedback, if anyone can help it would be great,
thanks guys.

From: Christophe Fillot on
Andy wrote:
> Hi guys, i am having a connectivity problem with a 2950 switch, and it
> is showing the error below. i did an upgrade to an image that if
> working fine on other 2950s, and still having the same problem, after
> the upgrade the disconnectivity is getting more frequent,
>

> SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
> OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
> SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
> OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
> SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
> OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
> SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
> OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
> SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
> OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
> SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
> OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5
> SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5
> OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5

It seems to be an error occuring in the internal memory of the switching
chip. IMHO, changing the IOS will not solve the problem, the hardware
seems to be defective.

From: www.BradReese.Com on
Hi again Andy,

SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5

Is a well known issue to Cisco, please contact your local Cisco TAC
Office:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-tac-contacts-worldwide.htm

When you RMA your 2950 unit back to Cisco it will fail Cisco's SDRAM
memory test.

---------------------------

CSCdv83336 Bug Details:

Under a certain level of traffic load, the switch will start logging
the following messages on the console:

SCHAN ERROR INTR: SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5

And after a few seconds, the switch will stop passing any traffic.

In some cases, the switch seemed still forwarding broadcast and
multicast traffic, which will cause STP problem if the switch has
redundant link and is not supposed to be the root for the VLAN, as both
port will go forwarding.

An assessment of the impact:

Unit stops passing any traffic.

The same error message has been identified in CSCdu87836.

Once more Andy, RMA your 2950 unit back to Cisco:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-tac-contacts-worldwide.htm

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power-supply-inventory.htm

From: Andy on

Thx guys, it might be a stupid question, can i change the SDRAM and
would it solve the problem?

From: Rohan on
I have never seen a purchasable SDRAM part for it.