From: John Oliver on
In the past week or two, I've hada three or four Gigabit Ethernet
interfaces on about as many 2960s go down and say "err-diabled". One
doesn't even have anything attached to it!

SES-Distribution#sh int Gi0/4
GigabitEthernet0/4 is down, line protocol is down (err-disabled)
Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is 0022.be29.eb04 (bia
0022.be29.eb04)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX
input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input 1w5d, output 1w5d, output hang never
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
15298
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
18322903 packets input, 20805679728 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 18297621 broadcasts (0 multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 watchdog, 15121276 multicast, 0 pause input
166633 packets output, 226858846 bytes, 0 underruns
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

However, no errors are counted. How can I start to figure out what is
happening and why?

From: Nicolai on
> However, no errors are counted. How can I start to figure out what is
> happening and why?

it could be:

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 15298

But my guess would be some sort of port-security triggered.

Please post the configuration of the mentioned interface

From: Sam Wilson on
In article <slrngiogof.4jg.joliver(a)ns.sdsitehosting.net>,
John Oliver <joliver(a)john-oliver.net> wrote:

> In the past week or two, I've hada three or four Gigabit Ethernet
> interfaces on about as many 2960s go down and say "err-diabled".
> :
> :
> However, no errors are counted. How can I start to figure out what is
> happening and why?

Start with "sh errdis ?" and look at the options. I don't have a 2960
to hand but the 3550 I just checked offers detect, flap-values and
recovery. We have recovery enabled and "sh errdis rec" shows (would
show) a list of interfaces that would be reenabled at the next timeout.
I don't know what you'll see.

Sam
From: John Oliver on
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:46:22 +0000, Sam Wilson wrote:
> In article <slrngiogof.4jg.joliver(a)ns.sdsitehosting.net>,
> John Oliver <joliver(a)john-oliver.net> wrote:
>
>> In the past week or two, I've hada three or four Gigabit Ethernet
>> interfaces on about as many 2960s go down and say "err-diabled".
>> :
>> :
>> However, no errors are counted. How can I start to figure out what is
>> happening and why?
>
> Start with "sh errdis ?" and look at the options. I don't have a 2960
> to hand but the 3550 I just checked offers detect, flap-values and
> recovery. We have recovery enabled and "sh errdis rec" shows (would
> show) a list of interfaces that would be reenabled at the next timeout.
> I don't know what you'll see.

SES-Distribution#sh errdisable recovery
ErrDisable Reason Timer Status
----------------- --------------
bpduguard Disabled
channel-misconfig Disabled
dhcp-rate-limit Disabled
dtp-flap Disabled
gbic-invalid Disabled
link-flap Disabled
loopback Disabled
pagp-flap Disabled
psecure-violation Disabled
security-violatio Disabled
sfp-config-mismat Disabled
storm-control Disabled
udld Disabled
vmps Disabled

Timer interval: 300 seconds

Interfaces that will be enabled at the next timeout:

SES-Distribution#sh errdisable det
SES-Distribution#sh errdisable detect
ErrDisable Reason Detection Mode
----------------- --------- ----
bpduguard Enabled port
channel-misconfig Enabled port
community-limit Enabled port
dhcp-rate-limit Enabled port
dtp-flap Enabled port
gbic-invalid Enabled port
invalid-policy Enabled port
link-flap Enabled port
loopback Enabled port
lsgroup Enabled port
pagp-flap Enabled port
psecure-violation Enabled port/vlan
security-violatio Enabled port
sfp-config-mismat Enabled port
storm-control Enabled port
udld Enabled port
vmps Enabled port
SES-Distribution#sh errdisable fl
SES-Distribution#sh errdisable flap-values
ErrDisable Reason Flaps Time (sec)
----------------- ------ ----------
pagp-flap 3 30
dtp-flap 3 30
link-flap 5 10

From: John Oliver on
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:15:38 +0100, Nicolai wrote:
>> However, no errors are counted. How can I start to figure out what is
>> happening and why?
>
> it could be:
>
> Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 15298

Every Gi interface shows the same thing.

> But my guess would be some sort of port-security triggered.
>
> Please post the configuration of the mentioned interface

There is no config for this specific interface, other then VLAN
membership:

SES-Distribution#sh run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 4102 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 08:50:00 PST Thu Nov 13 2008 by admin
! NVRAM config last updated at 08:53:43 PST Thu Nov 13 2008 by admin
!
version 12.2
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
service password-encryption
!
hostname SES-Distribution
!
enable secret 5 ******************************
!
username admin privilege 15 password 7 ********************
aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default local
aaa authorization exec default local
aaa authorization network default local
!
aaa session-id common
clock timezone PST -8
clock summer-time PDT recurring
system mtu routing 1500
ip subnet-zero
!
ip domain-name domain.com
ip name-server 10.99.16.5
ip name-server 10.99.16.7
ip igmp snooping tcn query solicit
ip igmp snooping querier
no ip igmp snooping vlan 1
!
!
!
!
!
no file verify auto
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2