From: Bill on
We have internal users connecting via Forms and external users
connecting via Oracle Apps Server 10.1.

Currently, there's one listener for everything.

Would there be any merit in creating a second listener for just the
external users?

The connection pooling is done via application server, so I see no
point in creating a shared server arrangement.

This kind of follows on from my question about DBMS_LDAP but is
separate enough to warrant a new thread.

I'd like to keep a large amount of Oracle processes open in the
database for the large influx of online users we're expecting so if
anyone knows a good way on the apps server for me to do that I'd be
most grateful. I know there are a few parameters like MaxClients but
it would be nice to hit the right ones as the time we have for testing
isn't that much.

Thanks.
From: Robert Klemme on
On 29.03.2010 17:40, Bill wrote:
> We have internal users connecting via Forms and external users
> connecting via Oracle Apps Server 10.1.
>
> Currently, there's one listener for everything.
>
> Would there be any merit in creating a second listener for just the
> external users?

I cannot see any but others might. IMHO a second listener only helps
with robustness (if one listener fails you can use the other one). OTOH
I cannot remember having heard of dying listeners and if it is on the
same machine as the DB chances are that if the listener is unavailable
the DB is as well.

> The connection pooling is done via application server, so I see no
> point in creating a shared server arrangement.

Absolutely agree. Especially since shared servers can create subtle
deadlocks if you run out of server processes (Tom Kyte describes this in
"Effective Oracle by Design"). Basically your connection pool in the
app server takes on the task of distributing work across several server
processes. You should only make sure your pools are properly sized.

> I'd like to keep a large amount of Oracle processes open in the
> database for the large influx of online users we're expecting so if
> anyone knows a good way on the apps server for me to do that I'd be
> most grateful. I know there are a few parameters like MaxClients but
> it would be nice to hit the right ones as the time we have for testing
> isn't that much.

This question is extremely JEE container specific so you'll find better
answers in a forum suited to the app server you are using. My general
0.02EUR on this is: just set min size to max size and don't use all
those fancy "we clean the pool in the background and fill it for you"
features.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 29, 11:40 am, Bill <billshatne...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

snip

> We have internal users connecting via Forms and external users
> connecting via Oracle Apps Server 10.1.
>
> Currently, there's one listener for everything.
>
> Would there be any merit in creating a second listener for just the
> external users?

The short answer is no. Unless you had some specific problem where
you proved the listener stalled/failed and you were putting together
something for availability there is no strong argument for another
listener.

A lot of places have something in place that creates ( and tests ) a
new connection on some interval ( with appropriate alerting ) to prove
that both the listener and the database are responding.
From: joel garry on
On Mar 29, 8:40 am, Bill <billshatne...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> We have internal users connecting via Forms and external users
> connecting via Oracle Apps Server 10.1.
>
> Currently, there's one listener for everything.
>
> Would there be any merit in creating a second listener for just the
> external users?
>
> The connection pooling is done via application server, so I see no
> point in creating a shared server arrangement.
>
> This kind of follows on from my question about DBMS_LDAP but is
> separate enough to warrant a new thread.
>
> I'd like to keep a large amount of Oracle processes open in the
> database for the large influx of online users we're expecting so if
> anyone knows a good way on the apps server for me to do that I'd be
> most grateful. I know there are a few parameters like MaxClients but
> it would be nice to hit the right ones as the time we have for testing
> isn't that much.
>
> Thanks.

In addition to what the others said, google about on the phrase
"oracle hardening" for your db version. There are some listener
issues in those white papers that may not be obvious, not to mention
sqlnet (including expire_time and how it deals with pooling and
firewalling).

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.