From: W. eWatson on
On 2/2/2010 8:23 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
> On 2/2/2010 6:37 AM, smlunatick wrote:
>>> As I recall the Seagate Agent drive has no way to stop it. No that's
>>> wrong. I had trouble finding the icon on w7, but it's easily accessible
>>> in xp. W7 too, once you've developed some navigational knowledge of it.
>>
>> You should check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic
>> tools. Also, you may need to disconnect the other USB devices while
>> you are copying. USB power is shared over the entire number of ports.
> OK, I was on a USB 1.0 port, which surprised me, since I thought the
> ports on the USB card in the back of the PC were all 2.0. I guess the
> only way I'm going to find out where the 2.0 ports are is to keep
> plugging the cable until I find one. The PC is 5-6 years old, and I know
> it has a 2.0 port somewhere.

Well, I think I found 2.0. I have two USB cards. I see in Device Mgr now
show Enhanced PCI to USB Host.

Historically on this PC, I think w/i a year or so of the purchase I
bought a PCI two port card, then years later a four port 2.0. One slot
on the latter was open, so that's where the FreeAgent drive is now.

I just xferred 4.1G across in about 7-8 minutes. That's 25 mins for 13G,
so about 10 times faster. I'm feeling better already. :-)
From: Paul on
W. eWatson wrote:

>>> You should check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic
>>> tools. Also, you may need to disconnect the other USB devices while
>>> you are copying. USB power is shared over the entire number of ports.
>> OK, I was on a USB 1.0 port, which surprised me, since I thought the
>> ports on the USB card in the back of the PC were all 2.0. I guess the
>> only way I'm going to find out where the 2.0 ports are is to keep
>> plugging the cable until I find one. The PC is 5-6 years old, and I know
>> it has a 2.0 port somewhere.
>
> Well, I think I found 2.0. I have two USB cards. I see in Device Mgr now
> show Enhanced PCI to USB Host.
>
> Historically on this PC, I think w/i a year or so of the purchase I
> bought a PCI two port card, then years later a four port 2.0. One slot
> on the latter was open, so that's where the FreeAgent drive is now.
>
> I just xferred 4.1G across in about 7-8 minutes. That's 25 mins for 13G,
> so about 10 times faster. I'm feeling better already. :-)

You can use the free version of HDTune, from hdtune.com, to check
sustained transfer speed on a hard drive. It saves you the trouble
of doing it with a stopwatch, and you can actually complete a test
in seconds (i.e. stop it when you've seen enough graphical data).

http://hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

Paul

Pages: 1
Prev: reader_sl.exe