From: Tim Roberts on
Tom Shelton <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:

>I would still do 64-bit. You can isolate the 32-bit dll in a suragate
>process or a com wrapper. This would allow the majority of your application
>to target 64-bit, but still make use of the 32-bit code.

Why would you still do 64-bit? There's no performance advantage. Unless
the application needs access to more than 2 GB of address space, there's
really no advantage at all. Why go through the pain of proxies and
surrogates, when there is a zero-cost solution available?
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 13-12-2009 22:31, Tim Roberts wrote:
> Tom Shelton<tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:
>> I would still do 64-bit. You can isolate the 32-bit dll in a suragate
>> process or a com wrapper. This would allow the majority of your application
>> to target 64-bit, but still make use of the 32-bit code.
>
> Why would you still do 64-bit? There's no performance advantage. Unless
> the application needs access to more than 2 GB of address space, there's
> really no advantage at all. Why go through the pain of proxies and
> surrogates, when there is a zero-cost solution available?

A few things actually do run faster in 64 bit mode (due to
more registers, new FP register model etc.), but that is not
important (and there is also the factor of larger data that
tend to make things slower).

The main argument should be that all code is migrating to
64 bit, so the two real options are:
1) get it working now
2) postpone the problem to later

Of course one can hope to have better time for the work
in the future, but Murphy's Law say otherwise.

Arne

From: Eric on
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:54:44 -0500, Arne Vajh�j <arne(a)vajhoej.dk>
wrote:

>On 13-12-2009 22:31, Tim Roberts wrote:
>> Tom Shelton<tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:
>>> I would still do 64-bit. You can isolate the 32-bit dll in a suragate
>>> process or a com wrapper. This would allow the majority of your application
>>> to target 64-bit, but still make use of the 32-bit code.
>>
>> Why would you still do 64-bit? There's no performance advantage. Unless
>> the application needs access to more than 2 GB of address space, there's
>> really no advantage at all. Why go through the pain of proxies and
>> surrogates, when there is a zero-cost solution available?
>
>A few things actually do run faster in 64 bit mode (due to
>more registers, new FP register model etc.), but that is not
>important (and there is also the factor of larger data that
>tend to make things slower).
>
>The main argument should be that all code is migrating to
>64 bit, so the two real options are:
>1) get it working now
>2) postpone the problem to later
>
>Of course one can hope to have better time for the work
>in the future, but Murphy's Law say otherwise.
>
>Arne

If I had time, I'd install both to separate partitions, but by the
time I install development tools and all, it would take days.

It is tempting to play things safe and stay with 32-bit. All I really
need from Windows7 at the moment is a platform for accessing Azure. It
would be nice to run 64-bit...just cause that's where things are
going. But surrogate processes and wrappers don't sound like much fun.