From: Kimbo Slice on
I know there isn't a x64 version of Visual Studio but is there anything
stopping me from running my x86 version of VS on a 64bit version of Windows
2003? When debugging my console application, will my application be able to
use all memory installed in the system (as opposed to the 4gb limitation
that's in place on 32bit systems)?

From: Mike Lovell on
> I know there isn't a x64 version of Visual Studio but is there anything
> stopping me from running my x86 version of VS on a 64bit version of
> Windows 2003? When debugging my console application, will my application
> be able to use all memory installed in the system (as opposed to the 4gb
> limitation that's in place on 32bit systems)?

How big if the program you're debugging!!! :o)

Yes, I run Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 both on Window 7 x64 Enterprise.

There's no problem with doing this. But no, a single process (devenv.exe)
cannot use more than the maximum memory it can address as a 32 bit
application.

--
Mike
GoTinker, C# Blog

From: Kimbo Slice on
Oh no, sorry, I didn't mean that visual studio will use more than 4gb. I
meant that the program I'm debugging *itself* will use more than 4gb. It
loads a ton of financial data into RAM and crunches it.

From: Mike Lovell on
> Oh no, sorry, I didn't mean that visual studio will use more than 4gb. I
> meant that the program I'm debugging *itself* will use more than 4gb. It
> loads a ton of financial data into RAM and crunches it.

Yes, you can run/debug x64 applications using Visual Studio. In which case,
your application could use the upper memory limit of x64

--
Mike
GoTinker, C# Blog

From: Kimbo Slice on