From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.os.linux.misc, steppenvalve <steppenvalve(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I saw the movie "Avatar" in 3D and was wondering when 3D TVs would
> turn up in the local store. Well, I just got the latest issue of B & H
> (bhphotovideo.com, or if you want the link :
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2500&N=4289362937+4289364140)
> and started thinking about hooking one of these TVs to a computer.
> Dunno what for yet, other than [1]gaming, [2]a really cool screen
> saver, [3]video processing and maybe [4]putting one window a few
> centimeters "above" another, making them go in and out/ through each
> other as you click on them. But I've never heard of this functionality
> in Windows or Mac OS. Is it available in linux yet?

This is the kind of airhead couch pototato that KDE and the like have
allowed to infest the Linux world. They don't give a tinker's damn
about Linux or learning Linux, they just want to waste their lives
using their computer as a new form of Boob Tube. An audio-visual
drug: movies and videos and games and music....

Sid

From: B Sellers on
On 05/08/2010 07:51 PM, Sidney Lambe wrote:
> On comp.os.linux.misc, steppenvalve<steppenvalve(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I saw the movie "Avatar" in 3D and was wondering when 3D TVs would
>> turn up in the local store. Well, I just got the latest issue of B& H
>> (bhphotovideo.com, or if you want the link :
>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2500&N=4289362937+4289364140)
>> and started thinking about hooking one of these TVs to a computer.
>> Dunno what for yet, other than [1]gaming, [2]a really cool screen
>> saver, [3]video processing and maybe [4]putting one window a few
>> centimeters "above" another, making them go in and out/ through each
>> other as you click on them. But I've never heard of this functionality
>> in Windows or Mac OS. Is it available in linux yet?
>

> This is the kind of airhead couch pototato that KDE and the like have
> allowed to infest the Linux world. They don't give a tinker's damn
> about Linux or learning Linux, they just want to waste their lives
> using their computer as a new form of Boob Tube. An audio-visual
> drug: movies and videos and games and music....
>
> Sid

Thanks for posting Sidney. I lost all my killfiles with the recent change
to a new Usenet Newsgroup provider and your post helps me rebuild them.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
B Sellers wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 07:51 PM, Sidney Lambe wrote:
>> On comp.os.linux.misc, steppenvalve<steppenvalve(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I saw the movie "Avatar" in 3D and was wondering when 3D TVs would
>>> turn up in the local store. Well, I just got the latest issue of B& H
>>> (bhphotovideo.com, or if you want the link :
>>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2500&N=4289362937+4289364140)
>>> and started thinking about hooking one of these TVs to a computer.
>>> Dunno what for yet, other than [1]gaming, [2]a really cool screen
>>> saver, [3]video processing and maybe [4]putting one window a few
>>> centimeters "above" another, making them go in and out/ through each
>>> other as you click on them. But I've never heard of this functionality
>>> in Windows or Mac OS. Is it available in linux yet?
>>

>> This is the kind of airhead couch pototato that KDE and the like have
>> allowed to infest the Linux world. They don't give a tinker's damn
>> about Linux or learning Linux, they just want to waste their lives
>> using their computer as a new form of Boob Tube. An audio-visual
>> drug: movies and videos and games and music....
>>
>> Sid
>>

> Thanks for posting Sidney. I lost all my killfiles with the recent
> change
> to a new Usenet Newsgroup provider and your post helps me rebuild them.

seconded.
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On May 8, 10:51 pm, Sidney Lambe <sidneyla...(a)somewhere.invalid>
wrote:
> On comp.os.linux.misc, steppenvalve <steppenva...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I saw the movie "Avatar" in 3D and was wondering when 3D TVs would
> > turn up in the local store. Well, I just got the latest issue of B & H
> > (bhphotovideo.com, or if you want the link :
> >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2500&N=4289362937+4289364140)
> > and started thinking about hooking one of these TVs to a computer.
> > Dunno what for yet, other than [1]gaming, [2]a really cool screen
> > saver, [3]video processing and maybe [4]putting one window a few
> > centimeters "above" another, making them go in and out/ through each
> > other as you click on them. But I've never heard of this functionality
> > in Windows or Mac OS. Is it available in linux yet?

[ Sidney ranting snipped ].

Can we get this guy's email address to get him directly in the
conversation?

Hooking up mongo monitors of doom to a computer these days is
straightforward: most have HDMI connections that will work well with
any modern video card, and will operate just fine for video display or
gaming. It mostly doesn't *matter* what display you connect, the
standards are well published and supported by even modest video cards.
Performance is very sensitive to the video card and the drivers. Linux
has lagged somewhat, because of vendors refusing to publish
specifications for their more powerful features and forcing Linux
engineers to reverse engineer them. (Yes, I mean you, NVidia!) They
aldo don't devote the engineering time to providing good drivers. In
general, though, a card even a few months old will work well with a
current Linux release.

It's unclear what you mean by "going in and out through each other".
Are you referring to having the application windows displayed in 3D,
one suspended over another, and "physically" relocating as you change
focus? Ow-ow-ow! It makes my eyes bleed just to think about it.
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.os.linux.misc, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe(a)somewhere.invalid> wrote:
> On comp.os.linux.misc, steppenvalve <steppenvalve(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I saw the movie "Avatar" in 3D and was wondering when 3D TVs would
>> turn up in the local store. Well, I just got the latest issue of B & H
>> (bhphotovideo.com, or if you want the link :
>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2500&N=4289362937+4289364140)
>> and started thinking about hooking one of these TVs to a computer.
>> Dunno what for yet, other than [1]gaming, [2]a really cool screen
>> saver, [3]video processing and maybe [4]putting one window a few
>> centimeters "above" another, making them go in and out/ through each
>> other as you click on them. But I've never heard of this functionality
>> in Windows or Mac OS. Is it available in linux yet?
>

> This is the kind of airhead couch pototato that KDE and the like have
> allowed to infest the Linux world. They don't give a tinker's damn
> about Linux or learning Linux, they just want to waste their lives
> using their computer as a new form of Boob Tube. An audio-visual
> drug: movies and videos and games and music....
>
> Sid

From my kill-log:

Score -800 killed article <089dae17-1304-4df6-9c5a-bc4567084e48(a)i10g2000yqh.goog
legroups.com>
Score 200: Reply to Me
Score -1000: From
Newsgroup: comp.os.linux.misc
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com>
Subject: Re: 3D linux?

Score -800 killed article <089dae17-1304-4df6-9c5a-bc4567084e48(a)i10g2000yqh.goog
legroups.com>
Score 200: Reply to Me
Score -1000: From
Newsgroup: comp.os.linux.setup
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com>

Wow! 2 replies to the same post. Ol' Nico must be real upset.

Of course he is. He's a technocrat. He loves ignorant appliance
operators that are dependent on people like he is.

He doesn't want newbies to learn Linux, that would put them on
a level footing with him. He wants them to learn KDE or Gnome or
Xfce, one of the Window's clone interfaces that allow ignorant
couch potatoes to run Linux with the help of technocrats like
Nico.

It's people like Nico, most of them at the distros', that have
sold out to the corporate allies of M$ who finance those user
interfaces.

A pox on them.

KDE is 3 times the size of my Linux OS, for Merlin's sake! And
I can do anything it can do. Including run any of the KDE apps
I feel like. All you need is the kdelibs for that, not KDE.

I wonder why the hell Nico uses googlegroups. That's for ignorant
appliance operators who don't understand the Usenet or how to
operate a real newsreader. It is a crappy interface to the
Usenet. No one who has used a real newsreader would put up with
it.

Nico is obviously not as good as he wants the newbies to believe...

Sid