From: Michal Suchanek on
2010/1/15 Michael Brooks <michael.brooks(a)shaw.ca>:
> Hello Michal:
>
> "Michal Suchanek" <hramrach(a)centrum.cz> wrote in message

>>> http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010512.htm
>>>
>>> They weren't particularly good until recently, but they are there.
>>
>> These *are* the X11/Mesa drivers and they *are* bad as in having few
>> features, possibly in part because of limitations of the Intel
>> hardware.
>>
>> The stability has also worsened recently. Too many chipset revisions
>> with different hardware issues I guess.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michal
>
> Sorry to hear that.  I do most of my work in Windows.  I just booted my
> desktop into Mint Linux 7 which already had the Nvidia 3D drivers installed
> then installed ruby 1.8.7, glut, ruby-opengl and ran the
> gears_with_shaders.rb file just fine.  I've had the best success with Nvidia
> under Linux.  Even the Geforce Go 6150 in my old HP tx1000 laptop supports
> OpenGL 2.1 in Mint Linux 8.  I've had some success with ATI in Linux but it

The nVIdia drivers may have better 3D support but no matter what I do
I cannot set up rotated display properly on them. The glue for binary
ATI drivers did not even compile for me.

The mesa library should support OpenGL 2.1 since version 7 but it
seems that support for different features in hardware accelerated
drivers varies per chipset due to hardware limitations or some
features may be simply not implemented for some hardware.

I would also think that higher level libraries like Ogre or
CrystalSpace would make a better job at isolating the developer from
these hardware and driver differences than raw OpenGL.

> varies greatly for different models and from distro-to-distro.  I'd heard
> that the Intel x3100 IGP and later chipsets were supposed to support OpenGL
> 2.0+ but haven't had direct experience with them.

I don't have such system at hand either, only i945G/GM (something like
GMA900 or GMA950) here.

Thanks

Michal

From: Marc-antoine Kruzik on
I tested Ruby-processing and I saw good 3D samples made thanks to
OpenGL.

But I did'nt find people using it to do something.
I just found some samples using free-context, but it's not 3D.

Does someone use Ruby-Processing to made something greater than a 15
seconds technical demo ?