From: lloyd on
Hi, desperate to get shot of BT, I note on the 3G website BB checker
they say my coverage is very good on my postcode. I just rang and
checked and they also confirmed it. Seems strange as 02 and tmobile
coverage is pretty poor and 02 say dont go for mobile BB in my area.
Anyway 3G reckon its good for my home PC just plug the dongle in and
we are away.

What do you lot think? We only surf the net and email really,
currently running at around 2.5gb pm so the 5gb 3G should be ample.
TIA
From: Colin Wilson on
> Hi, desperate to get shot of BT, I note on the 3G website BB checker
> they say my coverage is very good on my postcode.
> What do you lot think?

I'm in a "good" reception area, but i'm unable to call my wife's
mobile if she's at home (unable to connect etc).

I had one of the iphone sims with a dongle, and the speed (to be fair)
went from just about usable to completely unavailable for a period of
time.

Try finding the nearest cellphone mast here (they're the triangles,
but they only show the supplier info when you're zoomed in fully) -
it's not perfect, but it'll give you a reasonable idea of distance and
the power of the cell to weigh up the pros and cons.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/
From: lloyd on
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:11:00 -0000, Colin Wilson
<REMOVEEVERYTHINGBUTnewsgroup(a)phoenixbbsZEROSPAM.co.uk> wrote:

>> Hi, desperate to get shot of BT, I note on the 3G website BB checker
>> they say my coverage is very good on my postcode.
>> What do you lot think?
>
>I'm in a "good" reception area, but i'm unable to call my wife's
>mobile if she's at home (unable to connect etc).
>
>I had one of the iphone sims with a dongle, and the speed (to be fair)
>went from just about usable to completely unavailable for a period of
>time.
>
>Try finding the nearest cellphone mast here (they're the triangles,
>but they only show the supplier info when you're zoomed in fully) -
>it's not perfect, but it'll give you a reasonable idea of distance and
>the power of the cell to weigh up the pros and cons.
>
>http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

Looks like 3 masts together 02/orange/3 the 3 one says and is about a
mile from our office as the crow flies.

Name of Operator
3

Operator Site Ref.
PE0108

Station Type
Macrocell

Height of Antenna
23 Metres

Frequency Range
2100 MHz

Transmitter Power
24.46 dBW

Maximum licensed power
32 dBW

Type of Transmission
UMTS

Any good?
From: R D S on

"lloyd" <plums(a)none.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, desperate to get shot of BT, I note on the 3G website BB checker
> they say my coverage is very good on my postcode. I just rang and
> checked and they also confirmed it. Seems strange as 02 and tmobile
> coverage is pretty poor and 02 say dont go for mobile BB in my area.
> Anyway 3G reckon its good for my home PC just plug the dongle in and
> we are away.
>
> What do you lot think? We only surf the net and email really,
> currently running at around 2.5gb pm so the 5gb 3G should be ample.
> TIA

Try and blag a router from them, it made a massive difference for me,
service went from flaky to perfect.

From: Simon on

"lloyd" <plums(a)none.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, desperate to get shot of BT, I note on the 3G website BB checker
> they say my coverage is very good on my postcode. I just rang and
> checked and they also confirmed it. Seems strange as 02 and tmobile
> coverage is pretty poor and 02 say dont go for mobile BB in my area.
> Anyway 3G reckon its good for my home PC just plug the dongle in and
> we are away.
>
> What do you lot think? We only surf the net and email really,
> currently running at around 2.5gb pm so the 5gb 3G should be ample.
> TIA

I've been using '3' Mobile Broadband as my main internet connection for the
past 4 months (as BT were unable to get adsl working on my landline).
Generally it's been pretty good, there have been a couple of evenings where
it's just refused to work for an hour or so, but it always sorts itself out.
I also travel about quite a lot with work and there's only been 2 occasions
where I've been unable to get a signal. The modem has broken once, but they
were very quick to get a replacement out to me.

I also have a o2 data package on my PDA which I can use as a modem, however
I almost always find the coverage and speed from '3' much better.

Simon
Shopping Online?? Discount Vouchers and Codes @ www.VoucherSearch.co.uk