From: karthikbalaguru on
Hi,
I have been trying to understand the
BSD license. It seems that the
4-Clause license is the original license
and followed by 3-clause license (New BSD
license) And now, a simplified version in the
form of 2-clause license (Simplified BSD
license).

Interesting to know that the BSD License
allows proprietary use, and Works based
on the material may be released under a
proprietary license or as closed source
software

I wonder why the original BSD license
includes a advertising clause ? and Why
has it been scrapped later ?
I searched the internet, but did not get
a clear picture. Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Matthew X. Economou on
On Feb 6, 7:47 am, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wonder why the original BSD license
> includes a advertising clause ? and Why
> has it been scrapped later ?
> I searched the internet, but did not get
> a clear picture. Any ideas ?

The English Wikipedia article on the BSD license describes its
history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses

This is the second Google search hit for the term "bsd license".
Google is your friend.
From: SS on
On 2010-02-06 13:47:02 +0100, karthikbalaguru said:

> Hi,
> I have been trying to understand the
> BSD license. It seems that the
> 4-Clause license is the original license
> and followed by 3-clause license (New BSD
> license) And now, a simplified version in the
> form of 2-clause license (Simplified BSD
> license).
>
> Interesting to know that the BSD License
> allows proprietary use, and Works based
> on the material may be released under a
> proprietary license or as closed source
> software
>
> I wonder why the original BSD license
> includes a advertising clause ? and Why
> has it been scrapped later ?
> I searched the internet, but did not get
> a clear picture. Any ideas ?
>
> Thx in advans,
> Karthik Balaguru

Did you look at this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses

From: SS on
On 2010-02-06 16:21:15 +0100, SS said:

> On 2010-02-06 13:47:02 +0100, karthikbalaguru said:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have been trying to understand the
>> BSD license. It seems that the
>> 4-Clause license is the original license
>> and followed by 3-clause license (New BSD
>> license) And now, a simplified version in the
>> form of 2-clause license (Simplified BSD
>> license).
>>
>> Interesting to know that the BSD License
>> allows proprietary use, and Works based
>> on the material may be released under a
>> proprietary license or as closed source
>> software
>>
>> I wonder why the original BSD license
>> includes a advertising clause ? and Why
>> has it been scrapped later ?
>> I searched the internet, but did not get
>> a clear picture. Any ideas ?
>>
>> Thx in advans,
>> Karthik Balaguru
>
> Did you look at this?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses

Grr, I hate late postings. My usenet client delayed posting until it
was done downloading stuff...

From: karthikbalaguru on
On Feb 6, 8:21 pm, SS <s...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-02-06 13:47:02 +0100, karthikbalaguru said:
>

> > Hi,
> > I have been trying to understand the
> > BSD license. It seems that the
> > 4-Clause license is the original license
> > and followed by 3-clause license (New BSD
> > license) And now, a simplified version in the
> > form of 2-clause license (Simplified BSD
> > license).
>
> > Interesting to know that the BSD License
> > allows proprietary use, and Works based
> > on the material may be released under a
> > proprietary license or as closed source
> > software
>
> > I wonder why the original BSD license
> > includes a advertising clause ? and Why
> > has it been scrapped later ?
> > I searched the internet, but did not get
> > a clear picture. Any ideas ?
>
> > Thx in advans,
> > Karthik Balaguru
>
> Did you look at this?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses

Great ! It seems to have the info :-) !!

1. This clause was objected to on the grounds that
as people changed the license to reflect their
name or organization,it led to escalating advertising
requirements when programs were combined
together in a software distribution—every
occurrence of the license with a different name
required a separate acknowledgment.

2. It also seems that,
the clause presented a legal problem for
those wishing to publish BSD-licensed software
which relies upon separate programs using the
more-restrictive GNU GPL: the advertising clause
is incompatible with the GPL, which does not
allow the addition of restrictions beyond those it
already imposes.

Thx for that link !

Karthik Balaguru
 |  Next  |  Last