From: Bret Cahill on
Even the prototype is only $100K.

http://www.planetanalog.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218400113&cid=NL_planet

Leave the big engine in there for the road trips.

The unsprung weight doubles and the batteries might not always be near
the original design center of mass but aside from that it's a really
good idea.

Bret Cahill

From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:31:56 -0800 (PST), Bret Cahill
<BretCahill(a)aol.com> wrote:

>Even the prototype is only $100K.
>
>http://www.planetanalog.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218400113&cid=NL_planet
>
>Leave the big engine in there for the road trips.
>
>The unsprung weight doubles and the batteries might not always be near
>the original design center of mass but aside from that it's a really
>good idea.
>

>Bret Cahill

Install one on your car and report back.

John

From: Bret Cahill on
> >Even the prototype is only $100K.
>
> >http://www.planetanalog.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218400113&cid...
>
> >Leave the big engine in there for the road trips.
>
> >The unsprung weight doubles and the batteries might not always be near
> >the original design center of mass but aside from that it's a really
> >good idea.
>
> >Bret Cahill
>
> Install one on your car and report back.

I'm in love with the idea.

It will be the most cost effective way to commute in a couple years
yet you'll still be able to haul your boat over the mountains.

The flexibility of adding anyone's new batteries as they become
commercially available is another advantage over conventional hybrids.

A big alternator and an electric ac compressor would be another plus.
Maybe they could even tweak conventional [large rpm range] engines to
run at an optimum speed when recharging.

You're sitting in traffic going nowhere. It's 115 F outside but the
ac is on and the main engine isn't running, at least not for a long
period of time.

Bret Cahill

From: Paul E. Schoen on

"Bret Cahill" <BretCahill(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> Even the prototype is only $100K.
>
> http://www.planetanalog.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218400113&cid=NL_planet
>
> Leave the big engine in there for the road trips.
>
> The unsprung weight doubles and the batteries might not always be near
> the original design center of mass but aside from that it's a really
> good idea.

I came up with a similar idea a few years ago.

http://www.smart.net/~pstech/SHAMPAC.htm

It was too big a project for me alone and I had other priorities. There was
also the problem of making an electric motor that had sufficient torque and
speed for direct drive requirements, and I had planned to use a reduction
chain drive, but that added some mechanical engineering challenges. But I
found wheel hub motors available and in-use. And I found another website
that described how to replace the alternator with a larger motor/generator
which could be used to provide additional power from a battery bank and
also be used for regenerative braking. But that was not very efficient
because there was no easy way to unload the ICE to run on electric power
alone.

I recently saw the movie "End of Suburbia" http://www.endofsuburbia.com/
which gives a lot of insight into how we in the US got into the situation
we are now in, and the ramifications of "Peak Oil", which is where we are
now or will be in a few years. Cheap energy fueled the flight to the
suburbs and the inherently wasteful concept of long commutes and sprawling
individual houses for small families and individuals. Auto makers and oil
companies made more profits as such a lifestyle became more popular. But
there is a finite amount of oil in the ground, and even though we are
unlikely to "run out" suddenly like draining a gas tank, it will become
increasingly costly to extract, and price will rise exponentially as demand
continues to increase, until most people simply will not have the money to
afford it.

The economy relies on increased growth which is untenable globally, so we
will need to adapt to an economy based on sustainable moderation and
reduction of spending. Our economy as presently configured is doomed
because it depends on continued sales of items that are based on cheap
energy, materials, transportation, and labor. Much of the economy is about
trade in items that are not essential and based on rapid obsolescence to be
discarded and replaced. But we may very well. in our lifetimes, see a point
where it will become difficult for most people to afford the essential
food, clothing, shelter, and heating that are now taken for granted. We are
seeing the start of that with our present recession, and it's not going to
be fixed by bailing out companies that based their profits on a fatally
flawed concept of endless cheap resources. We can't spend our way out of
this. The retail economy cannot be based on huge expenditures for "toys",
including consumer electronics and sports cars and SUVs.

The movie can be viewed in its entirety on You-Tube:
http://www.endofsuburbia.com/previews.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3uvzcY2Xug

Paul

From: Bret Cahill on
> > Even the prototype is only $100K.
>
> > http://www.planetanalog.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218400113&cid...
>
> > Leave the big engine in there for the road trips.
>
> > The unsprung weight doubles and the batteries might not always be near
> > the original design center of mass but aside from that it's a really
> > good idea.
>
> I came up with a similar idea a few years ago.
>
> http://www.smart.net/~pstech/SHAMPAC.htm

It's still desirable to reduce the unsprung weight. You should have
applied for a patent.

> It was too big a project for me alone and I had other priorities. There was
> also the problem of making an electric motor that had sufficient torque and
> speed for direct drive requirements, and I had planned to use a reduction
> chain drive, but that added some mechanical engineering challenges. But I
> found wheel hub motors available and in-use. And I found another website
> that described how to replace the alternator with a larger motor/generator
> which could be used to provide additional power from a battery bank and
> also be used for regenerative braking. But that was not very efficient
> because there was no easy way to unload the ICE to run on electric power
> alone.

> I recently saw the movie "End of Suburbia"http://www.endofsuburbia.com/
> which gives a lot of insight into how we in the US got into the situation
> we are now in, and the ramifications of "Peak Oil", which is where we are
> now or will be in a few years. Cheap energy fueled the flight to the
> suburbs and the inherently wasteful concept of long commutes and sprawling
> individual houses for small families and individuals. Auto makers and oil
> companies made more profits as such a lifestyle became more popular. But
> there is a finite amount of oil in the ground, and even though we are
> unlikely to "run out" suddenly like draining a gas tank, it will become
> increasingly costly to extract, and price will rise exponentially as demand
> continues to increase, until most people simply will not have the money to
> afford it.
>
> The economy relies on increased growth which is untenable globally, so we
> will need to adapt to an economy based on sustainable moderation and
> reduction of spending. Our economy as presently configured is doomed
> because it depends on continued sales of items that are based on cheap
> energy, materials, transportation, and labor. Much of the economy is about
> trade in items that are not essential and based on rapid obsolescence to be
> discarded and replaced. But we may very well. in our lifetimes, see a point
> where it will become difficult for most people to afford the essential
> food, clothing, shelter, and heating that are now taken for granted. We are
> seeing the start of that with our present recession, and it's not going to
> be fixed by bailing out companies that based their profits on a fatally
> flawed concept of endless cheap resources. We can't spend our way out of
> this. The retail economy cannot be based on huge expenditures for "toys",
> including consumer electronics and sports cars and SUVs.
>
> The movie can be viewed in its entirety on You-Tube:http://www.endofsuburbia.com/previews.htmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3uvzcY2Xug

Nissan is looking at roadbed electrification, probably induction, but
even with that a lot of people are going to have to relocate to
cities.

Bret Cahill

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11