From: Phil Hobbs on
William Sommerwerck wrote:
>>> Correct. The original writer was probably confused by the
>>> fact that the materials ceramic ICs are made of can contain
>>> radioactive materials that can cause errors.
>
>> No, the alphas from lead are a real problem. Ten years ago, there were
>> folks going round to churches with lead roofs, offering them a new lead
>> roof in exchange for their old--and now low-alpha--lead ones.
>
> But where is the lead /within/ ICs? (The wires are bonded, not soldered.)
> Alpha particles have poor penetrating power.

Only a problem with flip-chip (C4) bonding. At one point I worked in
the packaging research group at IBM Yorktown lab (no, I'm not a
packaging guy--it's a long story).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: krw on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:47:15 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> No, the alphas from lead are a real problem. Ten years ago, there were
>>> folks going round to churches with lead roofs, offering them a new lead
>>> roof in exchange for their old--and now low-alpha--lead ones.
>>
>> But where is the lead /within/ ICs? (The wires are bonded, not soldered.)
>> Alpha particles have poor penetrating power.
>>

>Only a problem with flip-chip (C4) bonding. At one point I worked in
>the packaging research group at IBM Yorktown lab (no, I'm not a
>packaging guy--it's a long story).

The C4 balls were lead-indium, IIRC.
From: Phil Hobbs on
krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:47:15 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> But where is the lead /within/ ICs? (The wires are bonded, not soldered.)
>>> Alpha particles have poor penetrating power.
>>>

>> Only a problem with flip-chip (C4) bonding. At one point I worked in
>> the packaging research group at IBM Yorktown lab (no, I'm not a
>> packaging guy--it's a long story).
>
> The C4 balls were lead-indium, IIRC.

Lead-tin eutectic in my era (1987-2008), followed by gold-tin currently,
IIRC.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

From: krw on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:32:22 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:47:15 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> Only a problem with flip-chip (C4) bonding. At one point I worked in
>>> the packaging research group at IBM Yorktown lab (no, I'm not a
>>> packaging guy--it's a long story).
>>
>> The C4 balls were lead-indium, IIRC.
>

>Lead-tin eutectic in my era (1987-2008), followed by gold-tin currently,
>IIRC.

The last time I dealt with any of this was in the mid '70s. Before TCMs, even
(LEMs). I'm pretty sure they were lead-indium, but there may have been tin in
there too. There was also an issue of polonium contamination causing
uncorrectable L1 errors, but that's a completely different issue.
From: Michael A. Terrell on

Fred Abse wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:47:09 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>
> > I would NEVER add a pound of solder to an existing solder pot at one
> > time. When I bought my 6" diameter solder pot I had enough used solder to
> > more than fill it. It came from the use of a smaller solder pot to
> > salvage ICs from scrap PC boards. Float the board, then tap the corner of
> > the solder pot. A bunch of solder balls hit the aluminum plate the pot
> > was on. I would use a large pair of channel lock pliers to pick up the hot
> > pot to pour out some solder into a small aluminum pan, then dump all the
> > loose solder into the pot.
>
> So you don't really know the composition of the solder in the pot, or how
> much copper, gold, etc. contamination there is?

No need to, really. it was used to salvage parts and tin wire. Most
of the boards were soldered with 80/20 so i had to add some scrap lead
from time to time, to lower the melting point. The other metals didn't
hurt anything.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Telephone wiring 101.
Next: Valve/tube, A/R fault