From: Michael A. Terrell on

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:14:45 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
> >> I have some rolls of solder around the shop that are not well labeled
> >> or identified. Rather than risk leaving corrosive flux on a board, I
> >> prefer to clean most everything.
>
> > I just tossed solder like that into my solder pot.
>
> Right. Great idea. I did that once and regretted it. I tossed most
> of a 1 lb roll of Ersin 362 (62/38) rosin core solder into the wire
> lead tinning solder pot. The roll had gotten splattered with acid and
> was leaking flux. The result was a large cloud of noxious smog, as
> all the rosin simultaneously went up in smoke. You've seen the smoke
> produced during soldering. Now multiply that by a few thousand times.
> If it had set off the smoke alarm, I would have really been in
> trouble. I don't know the correct way to recycle and remelt old
> solder. Whatever it is, should probably be done outdoors.

I would NEVER add a pound of solder to an existing solder pot at one
time. When I bought my 6" diameter solder pot I had enough used solder
to more than fill it. It came from the use of a smaller solder pot to
salvage ICs from scrap PC boards. Float the board, then tap the corner
of the solder pot. A bunch of solder balls hit the aluminum plate the
pot was on. I would use a large pair of channel lock pliers to pick up
the hot pot to pour out some solder into a small aluminum pan, then dump
all the loose solder into the pot.

Solder pots are required to have an exhaust fan, in industrial
settings in my area.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Smitty Two on
In article <i1t5jq$k2f$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> "Smitty Two" <prestwhich(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >> That isn't what I meant. There's a 20% difference in the price between
> >> Kester's 60/40 and 63/37 solders.
>
> > Oh, so you didn't read my post after all. To reiterate, 63/37 is 13.80,
> > 60/40 is 13.30. That's uh, let's see, oh yeah, less than 4%.
>
> <GASP!>
>
> Yes, I DID read your post, and Yes, I did understand exactly what you said.
> To wit... that there was almost no difference in the prices of the 60/40 and
> 63/37 solders from your supplier. That's why I raised the question about why
> there WAS such a large difference between Kester's solders.
>
> I think it was plain from what I wrote that I was wondering why there was
> almost no difference in your supplier's prices for solders from (presumably)
> the same manufacturer, while Kester solders had a 20% difference. (See
> above.) Must /everything/ be explained in excruciating detail five times
> over?
>
> This happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
> over, and not just to me. It's because people don't read carefully, then
> think about what they've read. Believe me, I sometimes am about to respond
> to a post, then discover I'm mis-understood it.

AH-SO! At last we're communicating. Yep, usenet is tough that way
sometimes. Here's the missing piece: The solder I buy IS KESTER. The
EXACT same stuff that you buy. Only two differences: The disparity in
formulations is less, and the price is roughly half.
From: Smitty Two on
In article <i1td8b$gv3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> I wasn't mislead. Given the differenc in price, it was obvious it wasn't
> Kester.

But it was, grasshopper. You paid too much, because you bought it from a
hobby supplier.
From: William Sommerwerck on
> AH-SO! At last we're communicating. Yep, usenet is tough that way
> sometimes. Here's the missing piece: The solder I buy IS KESTER. The
> EXACT same stuff that you buy. Only two differences: The disparity in
> formulations is less, and the price is roughly half.

Fascinating. Perhaps someone, somewhere will have an explanation.

From: William Sommerwerck on
>> I wasn't mislead. Given the differenc in price, it was obvious
>> it wasn't Kester.

> But it was, grasshopper. You paid too much, because you
> bought it from a hobby supplier.

Actually, I bought the solder at least 20 years ago, and I believe it came
from an electronics-supply store, not a "hobby supplier". I also paid less
than $10.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Telephone wiring 101.
Next: Valve/tube, A/R fault