From: Boris Mohar on
On 15 Jul 2010 08:04:55 GMT, John Doe <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

>none given.now (Joe) wrote:
>
>> Why are there these two very similar solders? Is there any
>> situation where one is better than the other?
>
>Dunno, but... If you do detail work, try water-soluble flux
>solder. You just wipe off the residue for a sparkling clean
>circuit.
>
>Good luck and have fun.

Water soluble flux is conductive. You should wash it off not just wipe it.

--
Boris
From: John Larkin on
On 15 Jul 2010 08:04:55 GMT, John Doe <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

>none given.now (Joe) wrote:
>
>> Why are there these two very similar solders? Is there any
>> situation where one is better than the other?
>
>Dunno, but... If you do detail work, try water-soluble flux
>solder. You just wipe off the residue for a sparkling clean
>circuit.

And one that makes a great humidity sensor.

John

From: Smitty Two on
In article <i1mtb8$8u4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> The only reason 60/40 was ever manufactured in the first place is that tin
> is more expensive than lead, so 63/37 solder costs more.

Cite, please? (and I don't mean a link to commodity prices)
From: Robbie Hatley on

"Joe" wrote:

> I wonder if ... 60/40 might ever be better to use.

No.

For hand soldering, I recommend Sn63Pb37 wire solder with an activated
rosin flux core. Use thin solder, about 23AWG; it melts the faster, for less
chance of cold joints. For surface mount, use even thinner, about 28AWG.

Avoid organic or water-soluable flux unless you're going to wash the board
thoroughly after soldering.

Rosin flux can be removed with 99pct isopropyl alcohol ($1 a bottle at your
corner drug store). But frankly, I recommend NOT removing the rosin flux
scum. Leave it on; it's inert, airproof, waterproof, sweatproof, so it protects
the joint.

--
Been soldering stuff since 1973,
Robbie Hatley

From: William Sommerwerck on
>> The only reason 60/40 was ever manufactured in the first place is
>> that tin is more expensive than lead, so 63/37 solder costs more.

> Cite, please? (and I don't mean a link to commodity prices)

I can only cite "common sense". 63/37 has always been more-expensive than
60/40.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Telephone wiring 101.