From: George Herold on
On Jul 15, 11:42 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2010 08:04:55 GMT, John Doe <j...(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>
> >none given.now (Joe) wrote:
>
> >> Why are there these two very similar solders?  Is there any
> >> situation where one is better than the other?
>
> >Dunno, but... If you do detail work, try water-soluble flux
> >solder. You just wipe off the residue for a sparkling clean
> >circuit.
>
> And one that makes a great humidity sensor.
>
> John

Yeah, My prototype of a board with several high meg resistors (up to 1
gig.) was put together by myself with old Kester "44" (rosin flux.)
Worked great. Production did a few with their favorite water based
flux... No good! Now I have to convince them to go back to the old
standard. The new ROHS fluxes seem to be even worse. I measured a
few meg ohms between pads that had been 'cleaned'.... NOT.

George H.

From: GregS on
In article <7a307a68-f754-413e-8113-4b9d0ce7a236(a)c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, George Herold <ggherold(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jul 15, 11:42=A0am, John Larkin
><jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>> >Dunno, but... If you do detail work, try water-soluble flux
>> >solder. You just wipe off the residue for a sparkling clean
>> >circuit.
>>
>> And one that makes a great humidity sensor.
>>
>> John
>

>Yeah, My prototype of a board with several high meg resistors (up to 1
>gig.) was put together by myself with old Kester "44" (rosin flux.)
>Worked great. Production did a few with their favorite water based
>flux... No good! Now I have to convince them to go back to the old
>standard. The new ROHS fluxes seem to be even worse. I measured a
>few meg ohms between pads that had been 'cleaned'.... NOT.

I had a lot of problems with high Z circuitry. Got under the pads.
Some boards I had to clean/dry 10 times. In the interim, some of the cleaner
I used got into some caps and started their own circuit mess.

greg
From: David Eather on
On 15/07/2010 5:54 PM, Joe wrote:
> Why are there these two very similar solders? Is there any situation
> where one is better than the other?
>
> I understand the eutectic nature of 63/37, and I wonder if/when 60/40
> might ever be better to use.
>
> --- Joe

PeterD mentioned the significant parameter in his post. because it is a
eutectic mixture 63/37 does not have "much of a plastic state" this
means it is more sensitive to movement in the joint while the solder is
cooling - if the connections are unstable it forms more dry joints. This
was important with point to point wiring but is now less important with
PCBs.

You can normally use either solder for any job but the "old timers"
experience would suggest 60/40 is the better choice for wiring front
panels, flying leads and the like and 63/37 would be better for heat
sensitive components.

(for the obnoxious who will claim there is no difference - please note
that those doing the jobs *did* find a difference and thought it
significant enough to bother about)
From: Dave Platt on

>Why are there these two very similar solders? Is there any situation
>where one is better than the other?
>
>I understand the eutectic nature of 63/37, and I wonder if/when 60/40
>might ever be better to use.

My understanding is that 60/40 has somewhat better wetting properties
than 63/37, at least with some contact materials. Some people prefer
it for that reason.

63/37 makes a sharp transition between liquid state and solid state at
a single, well-defined temperature. 60/40 goes through a transition
between these two states over a significant range of temperature - in
between the fully-solid and fully-liquid states it can have a somewhat
mushy texture. Some people feel that 60/40 brings with it a somewhat
higher risk of creating a "cold" solder joint (inadequate fusion with
the contact surfaces) if the joint is moved or stress while the solder
is dropping through its mushy-state temperature region.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt(a)radagast.org> AE6EO
From: William Sommerwerck on
> Because it is a eutectic mixture, 63/37 does not have "much
> of a plastic state". This means it is more [sic] sensitive to
> movement in the joint while the solder is cooling -- if the
> connections are unstable it forms more [sic] dry joints.

I don't what you meant to say, but what you did say is backwards. Eutectic
solder is less likely to produce a dry or crystallized joint.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Telephone wiring 101.
Next: Valve/tube, A/R fault