From: NiteRider on
Hello all,

Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse
that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"?

I tried to install SLES 10 (patch 2) on this HP box. I downloaded
the .iso files and burned them to CDs. When trying to install the OS,
I got the following error:

"Could not find the SLES 10 Installation CD. Activating Manual setup
program."

Then I eventually choose "Start Installation or System".

When it mentions to "Choose the Installation Media", I choosed "CD-
ROM" and then get the error:

"Cannot mount CD-ROM"

I think - well, if this was the case then why were you (the computer)
able to boot off of the CD ROM? Can someone PLEASE give me some kind
of idea of where to go from here? I am thinking that it is some kind
of kernel issue. The advertised stuff for the box is listed below.

Is it realistic to install SLES 10 on this HP machine? If 64-bit is
going to give 64 * 10 headaches then I would rather not bother.

TIA

Product number
KQ495AA
Introduction date
08-May-2008
Country/region sold in:
United States
Canada
Hardware
Base processor
Pentium E2220 (C) 2.4 GHz (65W)
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775
Chipset
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Foxconn
Motherboard Name: MCP73M01H1
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Napa-GL8E
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 4 GB
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (2 x 2 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-6400 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive
500 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
7200 rpm
16X DVD(±)R/RW 12X RAM (±)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL
technology
Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in
order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology
Function Maximum speed
DVD-RAM Up to 12X
DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 8X
DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 8X
DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 8X
DVD-R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 6X
DVD ROM Read Up to 16X
CD-R Write Once Up to 40X
CD-RW Rewritable Up to 32X
CD-ROM Read Up to 40X

Modem
56K bps data/fax modem
Video Graphics
Integrated graphics
Sound/Audio
High Definition 8-channel audio
ALC 888S chipset
Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader
Supports the following cards:
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
IBM Microdrive
Secure Digital (SD)
mini-SD
MultiMediaCard (MMC)
Reduced size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC)
MultiMediaCard Plus (MMC plus)
MultiMediaCard Mobile (MMC mobile)
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
Memory Stick Duo
Memory Stick Pro Duo
SmartMedia
xD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)
External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
15-in-1 (4 slot) One
1394 One
USB Two
Headphone One
Microphone One

I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
SPDIF out (coaxial) One
SPDIF in One
VGA One
DVI One
USB Four
1394a One
LAN One
Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-
in, line-out, microphone) One Each

Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI One (One available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
PCI Express x1 Two (One available)

Drive bays
Bay type Quantity
5.25" Two (One available)
3.5" Two (One available)
Pocket Media Drive One (One available)

Keyboard and mouse
HP multimedia keyboard
Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)
HP PS/2 optical mouse
Software
NOTE: HP provides basic support for software that comes with the
computer. For in-depth feature assistance, refer to the help section
in the software or on the software vendor's Web site.

Software titles that shipped with PC Software Category Software Title
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium with Windows Media Center
(64-bit) with SP1

CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD+RW Windows Movie Maker & Windows DVD Maker
CyberLink DVD Suite 5
LightScribe Template Labeler

Entertainment, Music & Games My HP Games (not available in French
Canada)

Imaging, Photography, Video & Film Muvee autoProducer Basic

Productivity Adobe Reader
Microsoft Works 9
Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 Trial

Security Norton Internet Security 2008 (60-day security update
subscription)

Support HP Total Care Advisor (not available in French Canada)
HP Hardware Diagnostic Tools
Help & Support Center
Online documentation

Recovery HP Recovery Manager

Internet Solutions Microsoft Internet Explorer
Yahoo toolbar
ISP offers

HP Partner offers (may vary) Snapfish PictureMover (US only)
From: stan on
In comp.os.linux.misc NiteRider <d0mufasa(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse
> that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"?

well- in the first place, what does "64-bit HP-UX" have to do with anything?

Almost guaranteed that SLES 10 will NOT install on any system that
can run HPUX, and the rest of your note seems to indicate that
you have a PC, which will most certainly not run HPUX.

> I tried to install SLES 10 (patch 2) on this HP box. I downloaded
> the .iso files and burned them to CDs. When trying to install the OS,
> I got the following error:

Di you perhaps literally "burn them to CDs"? i.e. if you mount the cd
do you see an ISO file sitting there?

If so then that's your problem-- an ISO is an image of the final
CD. One does not just copy the iso file to a CD but rather burns a CD
that matches the image of the ISO. If your CD isn't bootable
then I would suspect that you missed this subtlety.

regards

Stan
--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com
From: Frank Stutzman on
In comp.os.linux.hardware stan(a)worldbadminton.com wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc NiteRider <d0mufasa(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse
>> that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"?
>>

> well- in the first place, what does "64-bit HP-UX" have to do with anything?
>
> Almost guaranteed that SLES 10 will NOT install on any system that
> can run HPUX, and the rest of your note seems to indicate that
> you have a PC, which will most certainly not run HPUX.

HP-UX 11i v2 will run on the 64 bit Intel Itanium processors, sez http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2003/030519a.html Now in all fairness, that
press release was from 2003 and I have no idea if it is a reality or not.

Suse will also run run on Itaniums.

Is an Itanium based machine a "PC"? Dunno, I find the "PC" term pretty
wildly used.

(now I realize that having a common processor is a far from sufficent to
run a operating system).

--
Frank Stutzman

From: stan on
In comp.os.linux.misc Frank Stutzman <stutzman(a)skywagon.kjsl.com> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware stan(a)worldbadminton.com wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.misc NiteRider <d0mufasa(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse
>>> that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"?
>>>

>> well- in the first place, what does "64-bit HP-UX" have to do with anything?
>>
>> Almost guaranteed that SLES 10 will NOT install on any system that
>> can run HPUX, and the rest of your note seems to indicate that
>> you have a PC, which will most certainly not run HPUX.
>
> HP-UX 11i v2 will run on the 64 bit Intel Itanium processors, sez http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2003/030519a.html Now in all fairness, that
> press release was from 2003 and I have no idea if it is a reality or not.
>
> Suse will also run run on Itaniums.
>
> Is an Itanium based machine a "PC"? Dunno, I find the "PC" term pretty
> wildly used.

no it isn't a PC. I said "almost" above since the Itanium does exist, but
only in vanishingly small quantities. besides OP's data shows
Base processor
Pentium E2220 (C) 2.4 GHz (65W)

which is clearly NOT Itanium and has no chance of running HPUX

Anyhow-- since OP's initial problem is that system won't boot
from his CD, there's very likely no 64-bit issues involved.

From: Rainer Weikusat on
stan(a)worldbadminton.com writes:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Frank Stutzman <stutzman(a)skywagon.kjsl.com> wrote:

>>> well- in the first place, what does "64-bit HP-UX" have to do with anything?
>>>
>>> Almost guaranteed that SLES 10 will NOT install on any system that
>>> can run HPUX, and the rest of your note seems to indicate that
>>> you have a PC, which will most certainly not run HPUX.
>>
>> HP-UX 11i v2 will run on the 64 bit Intel Itanium processors, sez http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2003/030519a.html Now in all fairness, that
>> press release was from 2003 and I have no idea if it is a reality or not.
>>
>> Suse will also run run on Itaniums.

[...]

> I said "almost" above since the Itanium does exist, but only in
> vanishingly small quantities.

It should be possible to find at least one HPC-system built by SGI
which contains more than thousand Itanium processors. And 'more than
thousand' is a large quantity, despite the fact the quotient of this
number and the number of human fingers belonging to people living in
China would be very small.