From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-04 5:31 p.m., Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

> No comprende.
>
> I'm familiar with the type of KB you're referring to, but this obviously
> isn't one of those. This one HAS a download available for it. The page
> even shows what the names and dates of the files are. It even says "If
> the hotfix is available for download, there is a 'Hotfix download
> available' section at the top of this Knowledge Base article" -- and
> there is. You can request the file and download the file. This is NOT
> one of the ones that you have to call MS to get (thankfully there are
> fewer and fewer of those these days).
>
> It's just that they -- oopsie -- forgot to put the actual payload in it.
> There's just a placeholder.

I can reproduce this behaviour.

However, the contents of the placeholder file make me suspect that it may be the
KB article that is wrong in saying the download is available. Have you tried
phoning MS for the hotfix? In my experience, this is a surprisingly pain-free
process.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See
http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=976883&kbln=en-us

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-04 7:38 p.m., PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> See
> http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=976883&kbln=en-us

If you try this you'll find that they email you a download link from which you
can download a ZIP file. When you extract the ZIP file (using the password
provided in the email) there is only a file named placeholder.txt, which says
(more or less) that the hotfix isn't available for download.

Harry.

From: MowGreen on

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> On 2010-03-04 7:38 p.m., PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
>> See
>> http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=976883&kbln=en-us
>
> If you try this you'll find that they email you a download link from
> which you can download a ZIP file. When you extract the ZIP file (using
> the password provided in the email) there is only a file named
> placeholder.txt, which says (more or less) that the hotfix isn't
> available for download.
>
> Harry.

OK, in the upper left corner the page states:

> Hotfix Download Available
> View and request hotfix downloads

'View and request hotfix downloads' links to:
http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=976883&kbln=en-us

Harry ... do you mean that requesting the Hotfix results in no hotfix
being found in the .zip folder, just placeholder.txt ?

If so isn't there a method or link included in the email that contains
the URL and p/w that instructs the requester on how to contact Support ?

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-05 10:37 a.m., MowGreen wrote:

>>> See
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=976883&kbln=en-us

> OK, in the upper left corner the page states:
>
>> Hotfix Download Available
>> View and request hotfix downloads
>
> 'View and request hotfix downloads' links to:
> http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=976883&kbln=en-us
>
> Harry ... do you mean that requesting the Hotfix results in no hotfix
> being found in the .zip folder, just placeholder.txt ?

Yes, exactly.

> If so isn't there a method or link included in the email that contains
> the URL and p/w that instructs the requester on how to contact Support ?

Just the generic links:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/
http://support.microsoft.com/

Harry.