From: nemo_outis on
"J.D." <degolyer181(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
oups.com:

> Hmm, interesting. And surprising that the UK would revoke
> rights that have been part of their legal system since the
> Magna Carta. Fortunately here in the US judges are more
> restricted. So I guess you should try to avoid being
> caught with potentially incriminating encrypted files while
> in the UK.

The best approach is to keep the files offshore (re UK) and
never repatriate them there. This can be as simple as
Rapidshare (which does create a window of vulnerability during
the periods the files are stored locally and worked on before
being re-uploaded). More elaborate schemes will use a
VPN/RealVNC tunnel (through Tor for the ultra-paranoid) to
work directly on the files offshore, etc.

> Come to the US to do your dirty encrypted
> shenanigans...if you can get past our nosy border-guards,
> who have the right to confiscate your computer, demand your
> password, and then body-cavity search you for no reason
> other than that they are bored and you have a "real purty
> mouth".

A number of methods are used by business travellers (although
they could be used by tourists, etc. as well)

1) An encrypted laptop is brought in through US customs but
the traveller does NOT know the password. If asked by
customs, the traveller explains that the password is kept at
offshore headquarters and will only be given to the traveller
when he reaches his final US destination (typically by phone).
Customs officers can confirm this arrangement by calling the
traveller's offshore headquarters.

2) An unencrypted laptop (with no important data) is brought
through customs and the important data is downloaded later
(from offshore headquarters, Rapidshare, etc.) when the
traveller reaches his final US destination.

Methods 1 & 2 protect the data but leave the laptop itself
vulnerable to seizure by customs (although this would be a
very arbitrary seizure for case 2). That's why there's method
3:

3) The traveller comes through US customs without a laptop. A
laptop is purchased at the final US destination (we can be
talking as little as $500 or so for a fair amount of power).
Important data is then downloaded (from headquarters,
rapidshare, etc). Prior to leaving the US any changes to the
important data are re-uploaded offshore and the laptop is
scrubbed and sold (eBay, etc.) - or even discarded.

Regards,

From: nemo_outis on
"nemo_outis" <abc(a)xyz.com> wrote in

Addenda:

1) If the volume of data makes downloading at the US
destination impractical/inconvenient then it can travel
separately from the traveller by mail/courier, etc and be picked
up at his US destination. It is rare for DVDs and such to be
seized by customs (and one can send multiple copies by alternate
routes, couriers, etc if paranoia runs rampant). Needless to
say, the DVDs should be encrypted, and one can even do the
"password only known offshore" drill as well. The risk of data
exposure is nil.

2) If time pressures, etc. make it impractical before leaving
the US to sell a laptop (on eBay etc.) that was bought there,
then the laptop can be returned separately (mail, courier, etc.)
to the traveller's home jurisdiction for disposal there (e.g.,
to sell on offshore eBay). It is very rare for US customs to
seize an outgoing laptop sent as a package (and one will be no
worse off than my cases 1 & 2 if this unlikely event happens).
Since that outgoing laptop has been scrubbed there is no risk of
data exposure, no matter what US customs does.

In short, while slightly inconvenient, it is trivial to thwart
these idiotic US customs policies. They are simply harassment -
or, only slightly more charitably, security theatre.

Regards,
From: Andrew Haley on
Greg Rose <ggr(a)nope.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> In article <F6mdnaHtItjX4nzWnZ2dnUVZ8mGdnZ2d(a)supernews.com>,
> Andrew Haley <andrew29(a)littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tom attacked this on the grounds of the key distribution problem but
>>> there is another problem of equal magnitude, in my view.
>>>
>>> How do you know that your random number generator (RNG) gave you pad
>>> bits are actually random?
>>>
>>> Sure, we have a series of engineering techniques that can produce a
>>> large series of random bits in *theory*. But that's quite a different
>>> than building an actual device that captures those bits accurately,
>>> without introducing bias. [1]
>>
>>But that problem was solved by von Neumann in 1951, for any source
>>that generates independent bits.
>
> Wow, this is pretty naive. von Neuman did exactly what you say, but
> how many sources have biased but independent bits? In practice,
> there are higher order correlations or biases that come in to play.

Sure, but for this one specific problem -- removing bias -- the
problem can be solved. And that was the point I was making. It
doesn't remove other correlations.

As for the rest of the problem, there's a nice paper, with a good list
of references, at
http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~tromer/papers/rng.pdf

Andrew.
From: Spinner on
Andrew Haley <andrew29(a)littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:

>Greg Rose <ggr(a)nope.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>> In article <F6mdnaHtItjX4nzWnZ2dnUVZ8mGdnZ2d(a)supernews.com>,
>> Andrew Haley <andrew29(a)littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:

>>>But that problem was solved by von Neumann in 1951, for any source
>>>that generates independent bits.
>>
>> Wow, this is pretty naive. von Neuman did exactly what you say, but
>> how many sources have biased but independent bits? In practice,
>> there are higher order correlations or biases that come in to play.
>
>Sure, but for this one specific problem -- removing bias -- the
>problem can be solved. And that was the point I was making. It
>doesn't remove other correlations.
>
>As for the rest of the problem, there's a nice paper, with a good list
>of references, at
>http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~tromer/papers/rng.pdf
>
>Andrew.

Don't know why this group keeps hammering on OTPs. Radiographic
counters provide biased independent bits. And lots of them unless you
use cosmic ray counters.
And for the most part it's irrelevant - you don't own and can't buy an
information processing system secure enough to care whether the OTP is
"absolutely" random or not. All systems leak information and with the
amount of money it would take to brute force a "good enough" OTP, it
would be much easier to pay off the other end, compromise your system,
compromise the other end, or just put a radio in your keyboard.

If you want an absolutely secure system, write it on a piece of paper
and then burn the paper. (be sure to do it in a sealed room with no
microphones or cameras).

Crypto is a VERY small part of infosec, and remember that it's only as
strong as its weakest link - which is generally the human part.
--
2+2!=5 even for extremely large values of 2
From: Tom St Denis on
On May 9, 4:20 am, Spinner <nos...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Don't know why this group keeps hammering on OTPs.  Radiographic
> counters provide biased independent bits. And lots of them unless you
> use cosmic ray counters.
> And for the most part it's irrelevant - you don't own and can't buy an
> information processing system secure enough to care whether the OTP is
> "absolutely" random or not.  All systems leak information and with the
> amount of money it would take to brute force a "good enough" OTP, it
> would be much easier to pay off the other end, compromise your system,
> compromise the other end, or just put a radio in your keyboard.

People like me don't hammer on OTPs because they're hard to get
secure. You could just dump data from /dev/urandom for all it
mattered and use that pad as an OTP if you wanted (I know that it's
just a CSPRNG...).

I dislike the OTP and regularly try to discourage people from using it
[or variants thereof] because it's totally impractical and it's the
attempt to make practical that renders systems wholly insecure.

Tom
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: A Randomness Hypothesis.