From: adacrypt on

I have recently written (in recent years that is) two adaptations of
the Vigenere Cipher that have the well known caveat that 1) the key is
random and 2) the key length is equal to the message length and the
key is used only once in the course of encrypting a message. These
are not pads in terms of what Major Joseph Mauborgne co-invented in or
around 1920 and it would be scientifically retrogressive to rate them
as such. They are presented as fresh adaptations of the Vigenere
Cipher that have been made possible only, by modern computer science.
These ciphers satisfy the criteria for theoretically unbreakable class
according to the industry standards.

The historic OTP is also an adaptation of the same Vigenere Cipher but
a rather weak one that was remarkable in its time but is only worth
remembering now for having been the first of many yet to come. The
most salient thing about the OTP is that Major Mauborgne based the
design of the OTP on the uncertainty that is induced in ciphertext by
using randomness in cryptography for the first time. This was ground
breaking new cryptography that had huge ramifications.

The OTP has been quoted in crypto textbooks as the paradox of the
century in being unbreakable but unworkable and it was always timed in
the writers’ presentations to coincide with some journalistic romance
and frustration that was meant to be amusing to readers. It has had
its day now however and has been superseded by at least two look-alike
but intrinsically quite different ciphers with the possibility of many
more to come from other readers in this newsgroup. Continuing to
present it today even as an abstract discussion model is an
embarrassing anachronism and indeed it is becoming ragged and
hackneyed – it is time to call it a day now, forget it and instead to
gracefully remember Joseph Mauborgne for his realisation and
instigation of the randomness that was debuted in the OTP in 1920 and
which is fundamental to all cryptography today.

It is RIP to the OTP now in my view.

I am a keen admirer of Major Joseph Mauborgne who was Head of
Crptographic Research for the US Army in his day, criticisng the OTP
here against a modern background is not criticisng him.

It is time to get real and get honest – the OPT was not generally
recognised over the years as being an adaptation of the Vigenere
cipher, nor as a stepping stone to better ciphers, nor as the
inception of randomness in the science of cryptography and instead was
given a short-sighted curio value that writers saw as amusing for its
freaky image value only.

I say put the matter right now as a service to the OTP, to
cryptography and to Major Joe

Comment.
The OTP was the unrecognised precursor in what should have been a
revival of the Vigenere Cipher. It was Major Joseph Mauborgne’s
answer to the lexical style attack that Kasiski and Babbage used to
break this famously strong cipher in its day. His vision of
randomness in this direction has been largely unrecognised by the
cryptographers of today and good new cryptography has been lost as the
result. Introducing randomness would foil the linguistic probability
that all languages possess naturally. With hindsight it was not an
end in itself but by means of randomness it should have been
recognised as the renaissance of this old and very powerful cipher
type overcoming its earlier defects – the launch rocket that computer
science would use to re-introduce new Vigenere ciphers that are
demonstrably, very viable to day.

Instead of that it was foolishly neglected and is seen as a totally
failed end – a cul de sac attempt that had nothing more than curio
value in cryptography. It has become a hobby-horse for a few very
small-minded people today who lack the design capability to think any
original thoughts and instead carry on chanting the same old
hackneyed, blinkered dogma of ignorance and decadence. They drag up
the one-time pad in completely out of context and irrelevant backdrop
arguments to try and stifle progress that they cannot understand
because of their limitations and will not accept that cryptography has
moved on from there and is on the verge now of vast changes. This is
a damaging cult in cryptography. It needs to stop now. - adacrypt
From: Bruce Stephens on
adacrypt <austin.obyrne(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> [...] and will not accept that cryptography has moved on from there
> and is on the verge now of vast changes. This is a damaging cult in
> cryptography. It needs to stop now. - adacrypt

When all's said and done, you're still talking about a symmetric cipher.
(Critical readers (which seems to be everybody) would argue that it's a
more or less useless symmetric cipher.)

The *real* revolution surely started in 1976 (a little earlier in secret
in GCHQ). See "New Directions in Cryptography", W. Diffie and
M. E. Hellman, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. IT-22,
Nov. 1976, pp: 644–654, and "The First Ten Years of Public-Key
Cryptography Whitfield Diffie", Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 76, no. 5,
May 1988, pp: 560–577.
From: Andrew Swallow on
On 02/05/2010 18:08, Bruce Stephens wrote:
{snip}

> When all's said and done, you're still talking about a symmetric cipher.
> (Critical readers (which seems to be everybody) would argue that it's a
> more or less useless symmetric cipher.)

Computer disks with lots of storage and flash disks mean that the OTP
is probably now viable for email, telegraph and digital voice messages.
Video files may be too big.

Andrew Swallow
From: Tom St Denis on
On May 2, 7:38 pm, Andrew Swallow <am.swal...(a)btopenworld.com> wrote:
> On 02/05/2010 18:08, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> {snip}
>

> > When all's said and done, you're still talking about a symmetric cipher..
> > (Critical readers (which seems to be everybody) would argue that it's a
> > more or less useless symmetric cipher.)
>
> Computer disks with lots of storage and flash disks mean that the OTP
> is probably now viable for email, telegraph and digital voice messages.
> Video files may be too big.
>
> Andrew Swallow

Once they address that pesky key distribution problem....

Tom
From: Maaartin on
On May 3, 2:38 am, Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> wrote:
> Once they address that pesky key distribution problem....

It depends. I send to a customer quite a lot of encrypted emails, but
altogether they make maybe one GB per year. I could have gone there
five years ago and have personally brought them a DVD, and we could be
using OTP for the whole time.

But we're using PGP and I know it's far more secure than my workplace
or their computers, etc.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: A Randomness Hypothesis.