From: trendless on

I'm getting the error on a Vista SP1 32-bit machine while trying to
install SP2 from the redistrib pkg; so it can't [solely] be
communication errors.

I also cannot complete an SFC; gets to 30-40% and fails quits with
"Windows Resource Protection could not complete the requested
operation". Windows Module Installer also crashes at the same time as
SFC if I'm logged in as a normal user that belongs to the administrator
group. I've temporarily activated the built-in administrator account
and am logged in as it to avoid administrator privilege issues, and when
I do SFC from here I can get a few % farther and Windows Module
Installer doesn't crash, but SFC still fails. I tried a chkdsk /r; it
ran overnight and presumably fixed errors, but didn't make any
difference.

The backstory is this:

Had malware, removed it. Was able to install SP2 successfully. Did
additional updates (upon shutdown), after having restarted and fully
completed SP2 installation. Then the system wouldn't reboot properly,
tried the automated startup repair, it failed. Restored to pre-SP2,
failed to restore properly, but the system does boot now. Have tried
repeatedly to reinstall SP2 (I know the redistrib works, I've used it on
myriad other systems successfully). Also tried restoring back farther,
but all restore points fail.

Also, SP2 failure code also includes:
'Error - RPC_S_CALL_FAILED(0x800706be)'

--
trendless

From: Ǝиçεl on
In most cases, the 0x800706BE error indicates that the Windows Modules
Installer [TrustedInstaller.exe] has failed.

That may be a sign of file corruption or be due to the presence of
'incompatible' software [ex: Security software such as an antivirus
program, security suite, or even malware]
-=-

From: Ǝиçεl on

See MowGreen's reply in thread "A Windows Update instalation failled" in
the microsoft.public.windowsupdate dated 4/8/2009 3:17 PM PST
as started by 800706BE.

In most cases, the 0x800706BE error indicates that the Windows Modules
Installer [TrustedInstaller.exe] has failed.

That may be a sign of file corruption or be due to the presence of
'incompatible' software [ex: Security software such as an antivirus
program, security suite, or even malware]

MowGreen
======

Ǝиçεl
-=-