From: Harry Potter on
If I created a *better* C64/cross-platform C compiler, would anybody
use it? Would anybody be willing to pay for a better C64/128/Vic-
based C compiler?
--------------------
Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community... or at least striving to! :(
From: redrumloa on
On Jan 22, 11:07 am, Harry Potter <maspethro...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> If I created a *better* C64/cross-platform C compiler, would anybody
> use it?  Would anybody be willing to pay for a better C64/128/Vic-
> based C compiler?
> --------------------
> Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
> Working magic in the computer community... or at least striving to!  :(

If it had full support for the SuperCPU, I might pay a small amount.
From: commodorejohn on
> If I created a *better* C64/cross-platform C compiler, would anybody
> use it?
If you *did*, yes. If you just *talked* about doing it in hopes that
someone would beg you to do so, pff, no.

>Would anybody be willing to pay for a better C64/128/Vic-
> based C compiler?
Hah, no. Sane people stopped paying money for compilers after the
1990s.
From: David Murray on
I still don't understand this obsession with finding something to code
for a Commodore 8-bit that you can sell to people. After all, how big
do you think your audience is? I bet even if you made the most
spectacular program ever for the C64 you'd probably be lucky to get 50
orders. Something like a compiler, which is used by a minority of the
user base, you might get 2 orders.
From: rusure on
On Jan 22, 9:07 am, Harry Potter <maspethro...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> If I created a *better* C64/cross-platform C compiler, would anybody
> use it?  Would anybody be willing to pay for a better C64/128/Vic-
> based C compiler?
> --------------------
> Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
> Working magic in the computer community... or at least striving to!

The platform for converting compiler source to machine code is
unimportant to me. I need compiler features in addition source to
target code conversion. In the 1970s, FORTRAN compilers could
optionally produce symbolic cross reference maps. When I took a
course in C in the late 1990s, I discovered that nobody needed such
programming tools and that my name was nobody. The Microsoft C
compiler for WINDOWS 95 would not give me the assistance I needed.
There is a cross reference mapper for C128 BASIC and one C64 assembler
has one as well. Even though they are passe, I would urge you to
include a cross reference mapper in your compiler, regardless which
systems you use for your project. Flow charts might also be useful to
coders. :(