From: my_nick_here on
I'm in the planning stages for a new C= O/S. Here are some features ,
goals, my reasoning, etc. (in scrambled order) ...

* True multitasking
* Event-driven
* Designed with internet connectivity and other advanced
capabilities in mind
* Configurable boot
* User profiles
* A solid development platform for new projects
* simplify hardware/software development by booting to minimal
footprint, with only needed APIs
* Multi-user (CPU sharing) sessions
* Remote connect
* Provide easy solution for multi-user (networked) programs (esp.
games, chat)
* Maximize re-use of projects
* Make use of modern devices easier
* Open-source
* Alive and actively supported
* Fault-tolerence (crash recovery, etc.)
* Hybernation, resurrected sessions
* Support as many projects / solutions as possible
* Allow most (sensible) enhancements / extensions to coexist
* Stream-based model of data handling & communication
* Process interaction via streams, APIs
* Multi-threading within apps
* Distributed / cloud computing
* Kernel support for the most-commonly-needed routines (integer
math, mem copy, locks and semaphors, console input/output, many others
* Command-line interface as primary shell. Anything can be built
on top of that
* Scripting/automation (batch files, unix stripts)
* Non-blocking I/O and requests
* Fix all sorts of bugs
* Maximum compatibility with stock software and apps in general
* Make the C64/128 a truly productive platform
* Standard, common APIs to encapsulate common capabilities that
have many implementations
* Relocating, linking loader, with load-time inlining (for
increased speed) and possibly a code relocater to maximize memory use
* Perhaps even the ability to run some GEOS apps?
* Lots of things I'm too lazy to look up at this time of night :)

And probably most importantly...

* Re-energize the community and keep it exciting!
* Enable collaboration
* See just how far a 1 MHz, 8-bit registered, 64K address space
computer with a rater inspired design can take us.
* To show it can be done!

I'm sure there's a bit of duplication and overlap, but there it is.

So, what y'all think? I'd like to hear from any and all interested
parties. Even if just to say "present" and a line about your
experience, usage, or projcets.

Thanks!
// AgentFriday

substitute,my,nick(a)hotmail.com

From: David Murray on
I hate to be the cynical one, but I'll believe it when I see it. By
the way, have you ever tried LUnix? (not to be confused with Linux)
as it does most of what you mention.
From: Joel Koltner on
<my_nick_here(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So, what y'all think?

You'll never finish it, but I'm sure you'll learn a lot if you start? :-)

You essentially want all the features of a "modern" operating system in a
machine with several orders of magnitude less CPU horsepower and memory than
what's available today. Hence, while much of this *can* be largely overcome
with a *lot* of effort and ingenuity on the part of the programmer, the
*number of people with the right skills willing to put in that effort for
little of no payoff* is going to be very, very limited.

I second the other guy's suggestion to look at LUnix -- I think he has a good
grasp on what he's doing: He never expects to finish, he's just been playing
around with the idea for the past 15 years now (although there haven't really
been any changes in the past 10 :-) ), seeing how much he can get out of the
C-64. If that's the same sort of thing you'd like to do, that's great -- it
should be a lot of fun.

---Joel

From: Andreas Varga on
On 2010-01-21 12:39:12 +0100, my_nick_here(a)hotmail.com said:

> So, what y'all think? I'd like to hear from any and all interested
> parties. Even if just to say "present" and a line about your
> experience, usage, or projcets.

Sure, that's exactly that the C64 needs right now. Another OS without
any applications...

From: bogax on
On Jan 21, 4:39 am, my_nick_h...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>   *  See just how far a 1 MHz, 8-bit registered, 64K address space
> computer with a rater inspired design can take us.

This is a CBM group

:P

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10