From: commodorejohn on
The big question here, I think, is what you hope to accomplish in
doing something like this. If you hope to "re-energize the community"
by putting a full-featured OS on the 64, I think you're probably
barking up the wrong tree. The CBM community likes to see neat stuff
done on the old machines, but I doubt that's going to inspire very
many people to use their Commodores more than they already are; the
same goes for "making it truly productive." The people who want to use
their 64 or 128 for serious tasks already do, using the software
they're familiar with, and you'd have to offer a lot more than just a
nicely-crafted OS to make a real difference; you'd have to provide a
suite of applications good enough to get people to ditch geoWrite or
whatever else they're using, and you'd have to do better than the
alternatives that already exist (any flavor of GEOS, WiNGS, etc.)

If, on the other hand, you're wanting to do this to make a name for
yourself, you're way off-base. We already have one guy who hangs
around here, trying to nag people into using trivial programs he wrote
just so he can feel validated. Thankfully, you don't seem to come off
like this, and you're ahead of him simply by virtue of apparently
knowing some of what you're talking about.

That said, there's nothing wrong with doing a project for its own
sake, and if this is something you actually want to do, by all means,
forge ahead! However, you probably ought to start smaller; get the
core features of the OS up and running, and then worry about things
like multi-threading or a GEOS compatibility layer. (Also, cloud
computing? Really? Who even uses that for anything, outside of
corporations?) Remember the old maxim that large programs that work
start out as small programs that work, not as large programs that
don't work.
From: James Harris on
On 21 Jan, 11:39, my_nick_h...(a)hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm in the planning stages for a new C= O/S.  Here are some features ,
> goals, my reasoning, etc. (in scrambled order) ...

It's a fascinating idea but could you do it without help? It's often
hard to motivate others.

FYI there's a newsgroup and an associated public wiki for os
development

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.development
http://aodfaq.wikispaces.com

No one has mentioned a Commodore OS yet!

James

From: RobertB on
Hmm, sounds like some of the above are already accomplished
in WiNGs or in the proposed Wheels SC. Unfortunately, both
require (would have required) a SuperCPU.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
From: J. Robertson on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 06:39:36 -0800 (PST), David Murray
<adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I hate to be the cynical one, but I'll believe it when I see it. By
>the way, have you ever tried LUnix? (not to be confused with Linux)
>as it does most of what you mention.

There's also the Contiki OS. Just throwing that out there since
everyone is starting to name all sorts of c64 OS in this thread.

Jason
From: AgentFriday on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:34:57 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
<zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
><my_nick_here(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> So, what y'all think?
>
>You'll never finish it, but I'm sure you'll learn a lot if you start? :-)
>
>You essentially want all the features of a "modern" operating system in a
>machine with several orders of magnitude less CPU horsepower and memory than
>what's available today. Hence, while much of this *can* be largely overcome
>with a *lot* of effort and ingenuity on the part of the programmer, the
>*number of people with the right skills willing to put in that effort for
>little of no payoff* is going to be very, very limited.

Yes, I know I'm half delusional, I just haven't decided which half yet
:) I don't expect to get all the features on my list, just those that
are most achievable and most useful.

I sat down to calculate the power of a 64 relative to a modern PC (say
a Pentium at 3 GHz). Yikes. I thought this might be an interesting
topic, so I'll probably post it in a separate thread.

>I second the other guy's suggestion to look at LUnix -- I think he has a good
>grasp on what he's doing: He never expects to finish, he's just been playing
>around with the idea for the past 15 years now (although there haven't really
>been any changes in the past 10 :-) ), seeing how much he can get out of the
>C-64. If that's the same sort of thing you'd like to do, that's great -- it
>should be a lot of fun.
>
>---Joel

I've been meaning to check out Lunix, thanks for the nudge. And for
your thoughts.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: C64 spotto