From: BruceMcF on
On Mar 5, 12:21 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 9:52 am, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I think everyone who is serious about using their 64 and trying out a
> > > new OS has one of these.

> > I don't have one, and I'm a pretty serious C64 user.

> > Out of curiosity, might the Z80 chip in the C128 provide a better
> > platform for a new operating system?

> You don't have a fast disk drive David? That was the point of the
> remark.

> "I take fast disk access for granted now, in the age of IDE64, uIEC,
> 1541 Ultimate, etc.

> I think everyone who is serious about using their 64 and trying out a
> new OS has one of these. "

> So please include the 1581, cmd hd or even a fastload cartridge.
> Thanks.

This brings to mind the C=Hacking article in one of the last issues on
providing Burst mode support on a stock C64:

"Burst Fastloader for C64 by Pasi Ojala, albert(a)cs.tut.fi"
http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/c=hacking19.txt

The description there involved soldering inside the box, but it could
be done with an IEC pass through plug wired to a UserPort connector.

Indeed, someone looking to do it wire-wrap style could make the IEC
pass through with an IEC cable, with the user port connector secured
directly to the cable ... a strain reliever secured to either end of
the user port connector and a cut in the outer insulator to get at the
two wires you need to tap into, enough slack on the short side to plug
into the IEC port, enough slack between the strain relievers to get
the electrical tape to cover the cut, and there's the el-cheapo
Burstloader adapter.

Given the generality of the serial daisychain and the speed of
Burstloader mode, lots of things that we think of as cartridge devices
could be done as IEC daisychain devices instead.
From: christianlott1 on
On Mar 5, 2:24 pm, BruceMcF <agil...(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> This brings to mind the C=Hacking article in one of the last issues on
> providing Burst mode support on a stock C64:

I wonder if you could drop in a pair of 65c22 and get the 1541 working
as fast?

http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/w65c22-chip.cfm
From: BruceMcF on
On Mar 5, 8:07 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2:24 pm, BruceMcF <agil...(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> > This brings to mind the C=Hacking article in one of the last issues on
> > providing Burst mode support on a stock C64:

> I wonder if you could drop in a pair of 65c22 and get the 1541 working
> as fast?

> http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/w65c22-chip.cfm

It might be simpler to get a 1571, which would have both the hardware
and the RAM for the routines. Oh, and plus have ROMs that already
support Burstloader.
From: BruceMcF on
On Mar 5, 8:07 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2:24 pm, BruceMcF <agil...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>
> > This brings to mind the C=Hacking article in one of the last issues on
> > providing Burst mode support on a stock C64:
>
> I wonder if you could drop in a pair of 65c22 and get the 1541 working
> as fast?
>
> http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/w65c22-chip.cfm

I've verified that the serial daisychain cables I have allow the hood
to be opened up and the wires to be accessed there, so without
soldering that side, two wires from a small insulated cable could be
tied for strain relief, conductor exposed, wrapped around the wire
where its soldered to the pin, a little electrical tape for
insulation, and put the hood back on for a plug and go Burstloader
cable.

The right wire pair terminal block for a secure fit with the solder
pins of a normal User port connector and you could switch between SP1/
CNT1 and CP2/CN2 just by attaching it to the right pair of pins.
From: AgentFriday on
On Mar 5 David Murray <adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I think everyone who is serious about using their 64 and
> > trying out a new OS has one of these.
>
> I don't have one, and I'm a pretty serious C64 user.
>
> Out of curiosity, might the Z80 chip in the C128 provide
> a better platform for a new operating system?

Until 6 months ago I didn't have any form of expanded RAM;
I had no exotic peripherals at all. But then, I'm coming
out of hybernation.

The problem with Z-80 is not many people have them. (And
due to your statement, you can't use the argument that
anyone serious has a CP/M cartridge. :p) I haven't studied
the Z-80 for a decade, but I remember that its instruction
set is clearly more powerful than the 6502.

I hadn't tinkered w/ my 64 in forever, partly because
everything on it was so cramped and inconvenient I just
lost patience. I'm hoping to prove those can be brought
down to size.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: C64 spotto