From: AgentFriday on
On Mary, BruceMcF <agila61(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>Given the generality of the serial daisychain and the speed of
>Burstloader mode, lots of things that we think of as cartridge devices
>could be done as IEC daisychain devices instead.

In the projects I'm working on (both physically and mentally) I
try never to use the expansion port. There are far too many
things that can only be done with bus access, that I want to
leave that free. IEC daisy chaining lets you use several
devices on 1 bus, and the user port has enough extra lines
you could theoretically pass through lines that you don't need.
I even wrote serial UART code for the Cassette port.
From: BruceMcF on
On Mar 8, 5:42 am, AgentFriday <my_nic_h...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On  Mary, BruceMcF <agil...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >Given the generality of the serial daisychain and the speed of
> >Burstloader mode, lots of things that we think of as cartridge devices
> >could be done as IEC daisychain devices instead.
>
> In the projects I'm working on (both physically and mentally) I
> try never to use the expansion port.  There are far too many
> things that can only be done with bus access, that I want to
> leave that free.  IEC daisy chaining lets you use several
> devices on 1 bus, and the user port has enough extra lines
> you could theoretically pass through lines that you don't need.
> I even wrote serial UART code for the Cassette port.

Burstloader mode definitely gives enough speed to access a two-port
Serial UART running near full dial-up speed, parallel port, etc. You
need a processor on the other side though, which biases toward
bundling multiple functions in a single I/O box.

Of course, if there's a parallel port / IEC connector with PC software
that supports Burstload, an old laptop PC could be the box, which
would be a good test bed for emulating the device before its built.
From: RobertB on
On Feb 2, 3:15 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I take fast disk access for granted now, in the age of IDE64, uIEC,
> 1541 Ultimate, etc.
>
> I think everyone who is serious about using their 64 and trying out a
> new OS has one of these.

Heh, I have two or three SD2IECs, one uIEC/SD,
one IDE64 v4.1, and one 1541-III.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
From: christianlott1 on
On Mar 8, 5:26 pm, RobertB <rberna...(a)iglou.com> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 3:15 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I take fast disk access for granted now, in the age of IDE64, uIEC,
> > 1541 Ultimate, etc.
>
> > I think everyone who is serious about using their 64 and trying out a
> > new OS has one of these.

> Heh, I have two or three SD2IECs, one uIEC/SD,
> one IDE64 v4.1, and one 1541-III.

daisy chained to one C64 no doubt :)
From: Rudolf Harras on
commodorejohn schrieb:

> The CBM community likes to see neat stuff
>done on the old machines, but I doubt that's going to inspire very
>many people to use their Commodores more than they already are; the
>same goes for "making it truly productive." The people who want to use
>their 64 or 128 for serious tasks already do

I also think that a new OS will be used.

I use the C64 for gaming because it is still fun and the games have much
mure flair than small windows or flash games. But I didn't care about
Lunix and other things because I never saw an reason why.

What do you do on Computers today? Browsing in the internet and checking
mails. Well, with web pages now needing about 500kb per site this is
difficult to do with a 64kb computer with 1 mhz and 16 colors. It might
be interesting having programms there which can do this and that but it
might be very hard making them usable for everydays usage.

So I think making a new application or game might be more useful than a
new OS.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: C64 spotto