From: Nam Nguyen on
The epsilon relation symbol ('e') is just a 2-ary predicate relation
one, such as '<', ... This suggests that it's conceivable to have a
different semantics for 'e', besides the set-semantics "being a member
of".

How about this semantics:

x e y means either one of the followings:

- the thought x originates from thought y, or equivalently
- part of what thought y is about is thought x.

We could replace "thought" by "perception", "concept", etc...

In this semantics, e.g., the empty thought can be still be syntactically
defined as ExAy[~(y e x)], just as the empty set.

A few questions arise though:

Q1. Would ZFC as a formal system "support" this semantics, in the
sense that ZFC theorems could be as much about human thoughts,
thinking, as it is about sets?

Q2. What would "collection" mean in this semantics of "thoughts"?

Time passes, there is no way we can hold it back.
Why, then, do thoughts linger long after everything
else is gone?
Ryokan
From: David R Tribble on
Nam Nguyen wrote:
> In this semantics, e.g., the empty thought can be still be syntactically
> defined as ExAy[~(y e x)], just as the empty set.
>
> Q2. What would "collection" mean in this semantics of "thoughts"?

This would imply that all sets are collections of elements
based on the ur-element of"empty thought", ie., all sets
ate simply sets (and sets of sets) of empty thoughts.
From: Nam Nguyen on
David R Tribble wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>> In this semantics, e.g., the empty thought can be still be syntactically
>> defined as ExAy[~(y e x)], just as the empty set.
>>
>> Q2. What would "collection" mean in this semantics of "thoughts"?
>
> This would imply that all sets are collections of elements
> based on the ur-element of"empty thought", ie., all sets
> ate simply sets (and sets of sets) of empty thoughts.

Not quite quite sure if I follow. Suppose the _syntactical_ theory is
still ZFC. Now in the new semantics we're supposed to only talk about
"thoughts"; and no words "set", "collection" would be use. So instead
of the canonical semantics "collection", what would be its counterpart
semantics in this paradigm of "thought"?

From: Nam Nguyen on
Nam Nguyen wrote:
> David R Tribble wrote:
>> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>>> In this semantics, e.g., the empty thought can be still be syntactically
>>> defined as ExAy[~(y e x)], just as the empty set.
>>>
>>> Q2. What would "collection" mean in this semantics of "thoughts"?
>>
>> This would imply that all sets are collections of elements
>> based on the ur-element of"empty thought", ie., all sets
>> ate simply sets (and sets of sets) of empty thoughts.
>
> Not quite quite sure if I follow. Suppose the _syntactical_ theory is
> still ZFC. Now in the new semantics we're supposed to only talk about
> "thoughts"; and no words "set", "collection" would be use. So instead
> of the canonical semantics "collection", what would be its counterpart
> semantics in this paradigm of "thought"?

A closer look seems to suggest there are axioms that wouldn't make
too much sense using the "thought" semantics, such as "Axiom of regularity"
and "Axiom of infinity". Still that doesn't seem to mean we couldn't
formulate another theory using L(ZF) for thought, I'd think.

From: Frederick Williams on
Nam Nguyen wrote:

> The epsilon relation symbol ('e') is just a 2-ary predicate relation
> one, such as '<', ... This suggests that it's conceivable to have a
> different semantics for 'e', besides the set-semantics "being a member
> of".
>
> How about this semantics:
>
> x e y means either one of the followings:
>
> - the thought x originates from thought y, or equivalently
> - part of what thought y is about is thought x.

"Part of" is axiomatized in mereology.

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.