From: Michael Coburn on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:25:00 -0500, John Stafford wrote:

> In article
> <c535c1d7-c47a-4f44-a4fb-5e85dc7d1dcb(a)p22g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
> Immortalist <reanimater_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Why do people trust economics as much as physics when it is based upon
>> such weak research methods comparatively.
>
> Do people really believe economics is a science? I do not. Nor does
> anyone I know (and I work in academe).

If those in academe think economics is not a science then it is small
wonder we are producing such poor economists.

> If someone wants a laugh, look to the title Political Science!

Political economy is about rules of order that produce the most
prosperous middle class. That is a social science.

--
"Senate rules don't trump the Constitution" -- http://GreaterVoice.org/60
From: Michael Coburn on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:57:44 -0700, Arindam Banerjee wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2:38 pm, Michael Coburn <mik...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> a4fb-5e85dc7d1...(a)p22g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

>> > Doesn't explain lots of things for lots of men (and women), but
>> > correct for the dull majority.  Hoewever the majority amounts to
>> > maintaining the status quo, the minority takes things front or back.

>> > So look at it much more carefully, for it is wrong.
>>
>> I've looked at it for a very long time.  And it is the fundamental
>> proposition of all _real_ economics.  There are other things that
>> matter to people.  But those things have nothing to do with economics.
>
> Define economics, then.

The formulation of societal rules that maximize material well being.

--
"Senate rules don't trump the Constitution" -- http://GreaterVoice.org/60
From: Michael Coburn on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:56:53 -0700, Arindam Banerjee wrote:

> On Jul 19, 8:50 am, Michael Coburn <mik...(a)verizon.net> wrote:

>> > Define economics, then.
>>
>> The formulation of societal rules that maximize material well being.
>
> Since for me, economics means whatever it takes to determine the price
> of a saleable commodity, we cannot argue any more.
\
I was never "arguing". It is what it is.

--
"Senate rules don't trump the Constitution" -- http://GreaterVoice.org/60