From: Reiichi Tyrael on
I am searching for a good portable text editor or IDE for Ruby to use on
my pen drive, I am not interested in other languages, neither Ruby on
Rails, just a very good place to write Ruby code. Any idea?

From: Caleb Clausen on
On 3/4/10, Reiichi Tyrael <xxreiichixx(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am searching for a good portable text editor or IDE for Ruby to use on
> my pen drive, I am not interested in other languages, neither Ruby on
> Rails, just a very good place to write Ruby code. Any idea?

What is your definition of 'portable'? Something that runs from the
same installation dir across different operating systems? Different
distributions of linux? Or just different machines running the same
OS/distribution?

This page might be helpful:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al_hzYODcgxwdG9tUFhqcVVoUDVaLTlqT2YtNjV1N0E&hl=en

The topic of ruby ides comes up periodically here, and usually
generates a long thread, so search the archives. The matrix above came
about from this previous incarnation of this topic, for instance:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/195926

I'm somewhat skeptical that you'll find something truly portable (to
different OSs)... editors tend to depend on a lot of system specific
stuff and require a big stack of gui libraries underneath. You should
be able to get, say, 2 different installations (mac and windows) of
the same editor going on your pen drive. You might also have luck with
something java-based, if you want to assume that whatever machine it's
used on has a JVM installed.

From: Reid Thompson on

http://portableapps.com/apps
http://portableapps.com/apps/development <-- gvim and notepad++ are offered

From: Benedikt Müller on
GVim is the only thing zou need :)

--
Gruß, Benedikt

From: Reiichi Tyrael on

> What is your definition of 'portable'? Something that runs from the
> same installation dir across different operating systems? Different
> distributions of linux? Or just different machines running the same
> OS/distribution?

Something that runs from the same installation dir on my USB PenDrive
across different computers without need to install the editor on those
computers. If it runs on windows is just perfect, compatibility for
linux will be even better, but not essential.

> This page might be helpful:
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al_hzYODcgxwdG9tUFhqcVVoUDVaLTlqT2YtNjV1N0E&hl=en

Already view it before posting, but it doesn't say if it's portable.

> The topic of ruby ides comes up periodically here, and usually
> generates a long thread, so search the archives. The matrix above came
> about from this previous incarnation of this topic, for instance:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/195926

I know, but I read a lot before posting (even that one), but there
aren't talking about portable ones...

>gvim and notepad++ are offered

Yea, but they are good general editors, I want something more Ruby
oriented...