From: Robert Clark on
The point I have been arguing in this thread is that not only is SSTO
technically doable, it is in fact *easy* if you use DENSE propellants
This point is made in this article:

Single-stage-to-orbit.
"The early Atlas rocket is an expendable SSTO by some definitions. It
is a "stage-and-a-half" rocket, jettisoning two of its three engines
during ascent but retaining its fuel tanks and other structural
elements. However, by modern standards the engines ran at low pressure
and thus not particularly high specific impulse and were not
especially lightweight; using engines operating with a higher specific
impulse would have eliminated the need to drop engines in the first
place.
The first stage of the Titan II had the mass ratio required for single-
stage-to-orbit capability with a small payload. A rocket stage is not
a complete launch vehicle, but this demonstrates that an expendable
SSTO was probably achievable with 1962 technology."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stage-to-orbit#Examples

The Titan II first stage did have SSTO capability using dense
propellants. And I'll show here the kerosene-fueled Atlas III does
have SSTO capability if switched to using the lighter NK-33.
The original Atlas from the 1960's was close to being SSTO capable.
It was able to be highly weight-optimized because it used what is
called pressure-stabilized or "balloon tanks". These were tanks of
thinner wall thickness than normal and were able to maintain their
structure in being pressurized. The wall thickness was so thin that
they could not stand alone when not filled with fuel. To be stored the
tanks had to be filled with an inert gas such as nitrogen, otherwise
they would collapse under their own weight.
The Atlas III first stage also uses balloon tanks and a common
bulkhead design, used effectively by the SpaceX Falcon launchers to
minimize weight. The Falcons probably are able to get the good weight
optimization comparable to that of the Atlas launchers without using
balloon tanks because their tanks are made of aluminum instead of the
steel used with the Atlas tanks. The Atlas launchers might be able to
weight-optimize their tanks even further by using aluminum for their
balloon tanks, but there may be structural reasons that for balloon
tanks steel has been preferred.
The specifications for the Atlas III first stage are given on this
Astronautix.com page:

Atlas IIIA
http://www.astronautix.com/stages/atlsiiia.htm

The gross mass is given as 195,628 kg and the empty mass is given as
13,725 kg, resulting in a propellant mass of 181,903 kg. The Atlas III
uses an RD-180 engine:

RD-180
http://www.astronautix.com/engines/rd180.htm

The Atlas III first stage is actually somewhat overpowered with the
RD-180, as evidenced by the fact that Atlas V first stage carrying 50%
more propellant is still able to use the RD-180. For an SSTO the
weight of the engines is a major factor that has to be tailored to the
size of the vehicle. A engine of greater power may be unsuitable for
the SSTO purpose simply because the larger than needed engine weight
may prevent the required mass ratio to be SSTO.
So again I'll use NK-33's two this time for the engines:

NK-33.
http://www.astronautix.com/engines/nk33.htm

Then the engine weight is reduced from 5,393 kg to 2,444 kg. This
brings the dry mass to 10,776 kg, and the gross mass is now 192,679
kg. So the mass ratio is 17.9.
Using aerospike nozzles or other altitude compensation methods on the
NK-33 we might be able to get the vacuum Isp to increase to the 360 s
reached by other vacuum optimized high performance Russian engines.
For the average Isp over the flight we'll use the value 338.3 s
estimated for high performance kerolox engines using altitude
compensation given in table 2 of this report:

Alternate Propellants for SSTO Launchers.
Dr. Bruce Dunn
Adapted from a Presentation at:
Space Access 96
Phoenix Arizona
April 25 - 27, 1996
http://www.dunnspace.com/alternate_ssto_propellants.htm

For the delta-V to orbit use 8,900 m/s, approx. 300 m/s less than
that required for hydrogen fueled rockets due to the reduction in
gravity loss using dense propellants:

Single-stage-to-orbit.
4 Dense versus hydrogen fuels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stage-to-orbit#Dense_versus_hydrogen_fuels

Then this would allow a payload of 2,500 kg:

338.3*9.8ln(1 + 181,903/(10,776 + 2500)) = 8,911 m/s.

Now let's calculate the payload for these two Atlas III's mated bimese
fashion and using cross-feed fueling:
with a payload of 19,000 kg, we get a first stage delta-V of
338.3*9.8ln(1 + 181,903/(2*10,776 + 181,903 + 19,000)) = 1,981 m/s,
and a second stage delta-V of 360*9.8ln(1 + 181,903/(10,776 + 19,000))
= 6,919 m/s for a total delta-V of 8,900 m/s.

But there are other hydrocarbon fuels that would give even better
performance, for instance, methylacetylene. Table 2 in Dunn's report
gives its average Isp as 352 s with altitude compensation. The max
theoretical vacuum Isp is given as 391.1 s. High performance engines
can get upwards of 97% of the theoretical value. So we'll take the
vacuum Isp with the methylacetylene fuel as 380 s.
For the SSTO version we would get a payload of 4,000 kg:
352*9.8ln(1 + 181903/(10,776 + 4,000)) = 8,929 m/s.
For the bimese, cross-feed fueled version, estimate the payload as
23,000 kg:

352*9.8ln(1+181,903/(2*10,776 + 1*181,903 + 23,000)) = 2,033 m/s for
the first stage delta-V and 380*9.8ln(1 + 181,903/(10,776 + 23,000)) =
6,904 m/s for the second stage, for a total of 8,937 m/s.
The "Atlas IIIA" page on Astronautix.com gives the cost for the Atlas
III first stage as $50,000,000. Two NK-33's are actually slightly
cheaper than one RD-180 used. So keep the price of the NK-33 powered
version the same and take the price of the bimese version as twice as
high. Then the cost to orbit per kilo would be $100,000,000/23,000 =
$4,350/kg, about half-current launch rates.

Bob Clark
From: Sam Wormley on
On 8/7/10 1:41 PM, Robert Clark wrote:
> The point I have been arguing in this thread is that not only is SSTO
> technically doable, it is in fact*easy* if you use DENSE propellants
> This point is made in this article:

You have you ask yourself the question: Why is it not routinely used?
From: Robert Clark on
On Aug 7, 4:59 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/7/10 1:41 PM, Robert Clark wrote:
>
> >   The point I have been arguing in this thread is that not only is SSTO
> > technically doable, it is in fact *easy*  if you use DENSE propellants
> > This point is made in this article:
>
>    You have you ask yourself the question: Why is it not routinely used?

Good question. There are two reasons for this. One, the Isp issue.
The Isp is the most important parameter for creating a launch vehicle.
A high Isp means you need less fuel for the same mass vehicle. For a
SSTO you would think then you should use the fuel that has the highest
Isp. Hydrogen-LOX provides the highest Isp among the practical
chemical propellants.
However, ironically hydrogen-LOX turns out to be the *worst* liquid
fuel combination you can use. The reason is its low density. That low
density drives it to have much worse engine T/W and propellant tankage
ratios than dense hydrocarbon fuels.
While LH2/LOX does have an a 1.5 times better Isp than kerolox, it
has a 2 times worse engine T/W ratio and *3 times* worse tankage
ratio. The mass of the tanks and the mass of the engines are the two
biggest components of the dry mass of the vehicle. The combination of
the reduction in the dry mass of the vehicle you get from these two
factors for dense fuels well swamps the Isp advantage of hydrogen.
That all NASA proposals for SSTO's focused on using hydrogen
ironically meant you were using the *hardest* fuel combination to
use.
Second, I said getting a SSTO using dense propellants is actually
easy. But to do it you have to use BOTH the most well weight optimized
vehicles AND the most efficient engines. However, the Russians had the
most efficient kerosene engines, but rather poorly weight optimized
vehicles. And the Americans had the best weight optimized vehicles,
but their kerosene engines were of rather poor efficiency. (The
Americans did have very good hydrogen-fueled engines such as the
shuttle SSME's, but as I said hydrogen is the *worst* fuel to use for
a SSTO.)

Bob Clark
From: Sam Wormley on
On 8/8/10 3:41 AM, Robert Clark wrote:
> On Aug 7, 4:59 pm, Sam Wormley<sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/7/10 1:41 PM, Robert Clark wrote:
>>
>>> The point I have been arguing in this thread is that not only is SSTO
>>> technically doable, it is in fact *easy* if you use DENSE propellants
>>> This point is made in this article:
>>
>> You have you ask yourself the question: Why is it not routinely used?
>
> Good question. There are two reasons for this. One, the Isp issue.
> The Isp is the most important parameter for creating a launch vehicle.
> A high Isp means you need less fuel for the same mass vehicle. For a
> SSTO you would think then you should use the fuel that has the highest
> Isp. Hydrogen-LOX provides the highest Isp among the practical
> chemical propellants.
> However, ironically hydrogen-LOX turns out to be the *worst* liquid
> fuel combination you can use. The reason is its low density. That low
> density drives it to have much worse engine T/W and propellant tankage
> ratios than dense hydrocarbon fuels.
> While LH2/LOX does have an a 1.5 times better Isp than kerolox, it
> has a 2 times worse engine T/W ratio and *3 times* worse tankage
> ratio. The mass of the tanks and the mass of the engines are the two
> biggest components of the dry mass of the vehicle. The combination of
> the reduction in the dry mass of the vehicle you get from these two
> factors for dense fuels well swamps the Isp advantage of hydrogen.
> That all NASA proposals for SSTO's focused on using hydrogen
> ironically meant you were using the *hardest* fuel combination to
> use.
> Second, I said getting a SSTO using dense propellants is actually
> easy. But to do it you have to use BOTH the most well weight optimized
> vehicles AND the most efficient engines. However, the Russians had the
> most efficient kerosene engines, but rather poorly weight optimized
> vehicles. And the Americans had the best weight optimized vehicles,
> but their kerosene engines were of rather poor efficiency. (The
> Americans did have very good hydrogen-fueled engines such as the
> shuttle SSME's, but as I said hydrogen is the *worst* fuel to use for
> a SSTO.)
>

> Bob Clark

You never addressed reasons as to why kerosene is not routinely
used.
From: Dr.Smith on

"Robert Clark" <rgregoryclark(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The point I have been arguing in this thread is that not only is SSTO
> technically doable, it is in fact *easy* if you use DENSE propellants
> This point is made in this article:
>
> Single-stage-to-orbit.
> "The early Atlas rocket is an expendable SSTO by some definitions. It
> is a "stage-and-a-half" rocket, jettisoning two of its three engines
> during ascent but retaining its fuel tanks and other structural
> elements. However, by modern standards the engines ran at low pressure
> and thus not particularly high specific impulse and were not
> especially lightweight; using engines operating with a higher specific
> impulse would have eliminated the need to drop engines in the first
> place......

Atlas SSTO link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_SCORE