From: Phil Howard on
I think maybe I'm missing something in the documentation, as I was
sure Postfix could do this. What I want to do is take a list of
things, such as the list of domains for virtual_mailbox_domains, right
out of a file. This isn't a map. But do I still need to do a map,
anyway?

From: Noel Jones on
On 6/23/2010 10:52 AM, Phil Howard wrote:
> I think maybe I'm missing something in the documentation, as I was
> sure Postfix could do this. What I want to do is take a list of
> things, such as the list of domains for virtual_mailbox_domains, right
> out of a file. This isn't a map. But do I still need to do a map,
> anyway?

The documentation shows what syntax is supported for each
parameter. Some -- but not all -- parameters support a plain
file list.

You can start here:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_mailbox_domains

-- Noel Jones

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:52:31AM -0400, Phil Howard wrote:
> I think maybe I'm missing something in the documentation, as I
> was sure Postfix could do this.

You are, it can.

> What I want to do is take a list of things, such as the list of
> domains for virtual_mailbox_domains, right out of a file. This
> isn't a map. But do I still need to do a map, anyway?

Substitute everything up to the last / for your own $html_directory
or http://www.postfix.org/ :
file:///usr/doc/postfix/html/postconf.5.html#virtual_mailbox_domains
.... which links to this for syntax:
file:///usr/doc/postfix/html/postconf.5.html#mydestination

From: Phil Howard on
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:01, Noel Jones <njones(a)megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:

> The documentation shows what syntax is supported for each parameter.  Some
> -- but not all -- parameters support a plain file list.
>
> You can start here:
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_mailbox_domains

Been trying to figure that out. I'm wanting to use CDB. But it
wasn't taking it. I guess what I need to do is give each domain a
dummy value.

From: Noel Jones on
On 6/23/2010 11:06 AM, Phil Howard wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:01, Noel Jones<njones(a)megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
>
>> The documentation shows what syntax is supported for each parameter. Some
>> -- but not all -- parameters support a plain file list.
>>
>> You can start here:
>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_mailbox_domains
>
> Been trying to figure that out. I'm wanting to use CDB. But it
> wasn't taking it. I guess what I need to do is give each domain a
> dummy value.

From the mydestination docs:
a "type:table" lookup table is matched when a name matches a
lookup key (the lookup result is ignored).

All map files require a "key result" format. In the case of
a map file used as a list, such as virtual_mailbox_domains,
the result must be present but is not used. So your file must
look like:
example.com dummy
example1.com dummy

Where "dummy" is any text you care to use.