From: Gib Bogle on
The PyQt4 problem results from having copies of the Qt DLLs in directories that
are in the PATH, as Doug Bell discovered. In my case I have two programs that
use Qt, AMD CodeAnalyst and Matlab. If I rename BOTH these directories I can
import the PyQt4 modules.

Since this behaviour did not occur with Python 2.5 and the previous PyQt I was
using (4.5, I think), it seems that something has changed either with Python 2.6
or with PyQt 4.7.

It would be very nice to learn how to fix this without renaming directories,
since I use Matlab frequently.

Gib
From: Gib Bogle on
Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 13:00:32 +1300, Gib Bogle
> <g.bogle(a)auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>
>> The PyQt4 problem results from having copies of the Qt DLLs in directories that
>> are in the PATH, as Doug Bell discovered. In my case I have two programs that
>> use Qt, AMD CodeAnalyst and Matlab. If I rename BOTH these directories I can
>> import the PyQt4 modules.
>>
> And where are those PATH entries relative to the Python ones? You
> may have to add the Python location to PATH /before/ the AMD and Matlab
> entries. {I routinely -- once a year or so -- copy the PATH environment
> variable to an editor, and reorder it so that the stuff I use most
> occurs earlier in the list}

Well diagnosed! The others were all system environment variables, while the
PyQt4 PATH is mine, and therefore it was placed at the end. I've taken the AMD
and Matlab PATH entries out of the system list and put them after PyQt4 in my
PATH. Now peace and harmony are restored to my Python world.

Thanks
Gib