From: Gib Bogle on
How can I interrogate Python to find out where it is looking to find the PyQt4
DLLs in a Windows installation? Secondarily, how is this search path set?
From: Chris Rebert on
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Gib Bogle
<g.bogle(a)auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> wrote:
> How can I interrogate Python to find out where it is looking to find the
> PyQt4 DLLs in a Windows installation?

import sys
print(sys.path)

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com
From: Gib Bogle on
Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Gib Bogle
> <g.bogle(a)auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> wrote:
>> How can I interrogate Python to find out where it is looking to find the
>> PyQt4 DLLs in a Windows installation?
>
> import sys
> print(sys.path)

Note this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pyqt(a)riverbankcomputing.com/msg20121.html

I'm starting to get the impression that Windows is the 'poor relation' in the
Python family ...
From: Gib Bogle on
The point of my question was that sys.path is clearly not being used in this
case. When I start Python sys.path includes D:\python26\lib\site-packages which
seems to be the Python default. Using sys.path.append I have tried adding both
D:\python26\lib\site-packages\PyQt4 and D:\python26\lib\site-packages\PyQt4\bin
to the path, but this has no effect. So far the only way I've found to make the
PyQt4 DLLs visible to Python is by copying them from PyQt4\bin into PyQt4.

I've tried adding stuff to the Windows PATH, but that has no effect.

Gib

From: Gib Bogle on
The PyQt4 problem results from having copies of the Qt DLLs in directories that
are in the PATH, as Doug Bell discovered. In my case I have two programs that
use Qt, AMD CodeAnalyst and Matlab. If I rename BOTH these directories I can
import the PyQt4 modules.

Since this behaviour did not occur with Python 2.5 and the previous PyQt I was
using (4.5, I think), it seems that something has changed either with Python 2.6
or with PyQt 4.7.

It would be very nice to learn how to fix this without renaming directories,
since I use Matlab frequently.

Gib