From: nurmi on
I drive the Windows XP Home Edition SP 3 Until today it has
performed the way it was designed.
Three times today I worked with it as usual when about 30 to 45 minutes
after booting up, the operating system
stopped funtioning. The arrow disappeard, Control, Alt, Delete, did not
wake up the Task Manager, turning
a printer on or of brought no reaction from the PC, did not activate the red
light . Re-booting worked normally.
Then it occurred again. Any ideas?
Nurmi

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Overheating?

Cleaning the Interior of your PC:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial118.html

From: Paul on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Overheating?
>
> Cleaning the Interior of your PC:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial118.html

Check Event Viewer for any error messages that might have happened
at that point in time. In this example, the problem is related
to a graphics driver (ATI2MTAG).

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/115895d1190257085/event-viewer.jpg

If you have a second computer, you can use the "ping" command
in a Command Prompt window, to see if your current computer is
still computing. Sometimes, a freeze of the Windows display system,
will make it appear the computer is dead, when it isn't. If the
ping is answered, then the computer is still running.

In addition to PA's suggestion of overheating, you might also want
to visually check the condition of the capacitors around the processor
socket. Bulged or leaking electrolytic capacitors can cause
instability leading to a crash or freeze.

(What to look for, on the computer motherboard, near the processor socket)
http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/kt7/image004.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

The same problem may affect the capacitors inside the computer power
supply. Sometimes, you can hear a sizzling sound when you first start
the computer, or smell smoke coming from the supply. Eventually,
the computer will no longer be able to start up properly.

The problem may also be caused by bad memory. You can test the memory,
using a program from this web page. You prepare a floppy diskette, or
a CD using the program, and boot the computer with the memory testing
program. A couple of complete passes of testing (two hours perhaps) is
sufficient.

http://www.memtest.org/

Using your favorite search engine, you can search for that model name
("HP Pavilion 1234") and see if anyone else has had problems with
capacitors or power supplies or the like.

Paul

From: Jim on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 21:25:53 -0700, "nurmi" <bogus(a)gmxs.de> wrote:

> I drive the Windows XP Home Edition SP 3 Until today it has
>performed the way it was designed.
>Three times today I worked with it as usual when about 30 to 45 minutes
>after booting up, the operating system
>stopped funtioning. The arrow disappeard, Control, Alt, Delete, did not
>wake up the Task Manager, turning
>a printer on or of brought no reaction from the PC, did not activate the red
>light . Re-booting worked normally.
>Then it occurred again. Any ideas?
>Nurmi

Too hot ?