From: Doug Freyburger on
Adornley wrote:

> have been wondering - how can you tell whether one has posted using
> Google Groups rather than Usenet? or vice versa?

If I read it on any other NSP than google then they posted it using
UseNet. Google does exchange NNTP with other NSPs so it is validly just
other UseNet service. They just have a web display option with no
filtering and poor quoting and display behavior. But that's not what
you intended to ask. You intended to ask how the tell if a post
orginated on google.

It's listed several ways in the headers.

I have my reader set to display the Organization line. Google doesn't
let posters set it that i've found in their interface so it is always -

The strings google.com and googlegroups.com appear in several other
lines. The most common to filter on is the Message-ID line.
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 19 July 2010 16:12 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as Adornley wrote...

> On 07/18/2010 08:04 PM, Aragorn wrote:
>
>> With a real newsreader, you will be able to see all the headers of
>> each post, when available. People who post from Google Groups have
>> their "User Agent" listed as "G2".
>>
>> P.S.: You may also want to read up on this one...:
>>
>> http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#quote
>
> Hello again :)
> Hesitated before replying.. went through the link, and am very
> thankful for it, just wanted to make sure I was following the
> "rules".. wasn't aware of the fact there are these good conventions to
> follow though now that I think about it - it was stupid to think
> otherwise.. Anyway, at no point (my last post here was my first ever
> on Usenet ;) ) I meant to offend anybody :).. even now I'm not sure I
> did this right.. hopefully I did and if not - my apologies + any
> corrections will be very appreciated.. will study how this should be
> done while reading and following threads.

I did not mean to imply that you were doing something wrong. If I came
across as having made such an innuendo, then I apologize. I was merely
trying to give you somewhat of a heads-up, since you appear to be new
here. Something in the spirit of showing you the caveats before you
trip over them. ;-)

> (one thing I'm not sure about, though, is I actually write here after
> your quote (though originally there was more afterwards, which I
> trimmed) - is this ok?)

Yes, if that which you trimmed was not important for the discussion,
i.e. you had nothing to add to or ask about it, and so it became
irrelevant. ;-)

> also - I wanted to begin my message with this yet it replies to the
> link you suggested and only in the next paragraph I re-ask about the
> beginning of your quoted text, but did not want to break your order of
> writing things down..

Breaking up a sentence is allowed, provided that you use "[..."
and "...]" to denote that the quoted part was interrupted for a comment
of your own. Not everyone does this, though, and it's also
only "needed" when you cut up a sentence. If you cut up a paragraph
between the period that ended the previous sentence and the beginning
of the next one, then you don't need to do that. ;-)

> I'm not sure it's a "polite" or acceptable thing to do or a no-no..
> also, I strayed from the original thread's subject, which seems unfair
> as well - so I apologise and will definitely not repeat such a bad
> habit again..

Most threads will stray from the original subject after two or three
levels down. :p

> Anyway, wanted to ask also about what you meant by 'a real
> newsreader'..

Any newsreader program, e.g. KNode, Thunderbird, Pan, slrn, et al.

> I started reading newsgroups by using Thunderbird and couldn't find
> the 'G2' text when reading posts of Google Groups.. so was wondering..
> but I guess I'll find the answer sooner or later as I spend some more
> time here :)

Those are headers. They do not appear in the message body, but they
should be visible in a separate part of the message. It is possible
that you may have to select "View all headers" or something of that
sort in the menu. I've never used Thunderbird myself, so I don't
really know.

In KNode, you can customize which headers you want to display and which
ones to hide. There are many headers, so you may not want to see all
of them every time.

An example of what I am currently seeing of your article is this...

From:Adornley <Adornley(a)gmail.com> (A noiseless patient Spider)
Date:Monday 19 July 2010 16:12:04
Groups:comp.os.linux.setup
User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4)
Gecko/20100608 Thunderbird/3.1

There are many more headers, but not every post has the same amount of
headers, and as I wrote, not all of them are visible to me at all
time - albeit that in KNode, I can call them up all whenever I want to.

For Google Groups posters, "User-Agent" will show "G2" and
the "Message-ID" will have the string "groups.google.com" in it.

Hope this helps. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)