From: Albertito on
Let's consider a classical newtonian gravitational
potential, which is well-known it's a scalar quantity,

\phi = -GM/|r|

where |r| is the norm of the radial vector
distance r, and GM is gravitational parameter

The gradient of that \phi is the gravitational
vector field, g,

g = grad(\phi) = GM r /|r|^3

We can also define the gravitational potential
as the divergence of a vector field, \psi,

div(\psi) = \phi

Does \psi have any physical meaning?
What name should we give to \psi?

Thanks in advance

From: Sue... on
On Sep 15, 11:21 am, Albertito <albertito1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's consider a classical newtonian gravitational
> potential, which is well-known it's a scalar quantity,
>
>          \phi = -GM/|r|
>
>         where |r| is the norm of the radial vector
>         distance r, and GM is gravitational parameter
>
> The gradient of that \phi is the gravitational
> vector field, g,
>
>         g = grad(\phi) = GM r /|r|^3
>
> We can also define the gravitational potential
> as the divergence of a vector field,  \psi,
>
>         div(\psi) =  \phi
>
> Does \psi have any physical meaning?
> What name should we give to \psi?
>
> Thanks in advance

Do you have a list of century-long disputes that
you compose your posts from? :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poynting_vector#Independent_E_and_B_fields

How an antenna launches its input power into
radiation: the pattern of the Poynting vector at and near an antenna --
J.D. Jackson
http://repositories.cdlib.org/lbnl/LBNL-57623/

Sue...

From: "Juan R." González-Álvarez on

You show again no idea.

--
http://www.canonicalscience.org/

BLOG:
http://www.canonicalscience.org/en/publicationzone/canonicalsciencetoday/canonicalsciencetoday.html
From: xxein on
On Sep 15, 11:21 am, Albertito <albertito1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's consider a classical newtonian gravitational
> potential, which is well-known it's a scalar quantity,
>
>          \phi = -GM/|r|
>
>         where |r| is the norm of the radial vector
>         distance r, and GM is gravitational parameter
>
> The gradient of that \phi is the gravitational
> vector field, g,
>
>         g = grad(\phi) = GM r /|r|^3
>
> We can also define the gravitational potential
> as the divergence of a vector field,  \psi,
>
>         div(\psi) =  \phi
>
> Does \psi have any physical meaning?
> What name should we give to \psi?
>
> Thanks in advance

xxein: You have three choices. The cowardly lion, the tin man, and
not to be a sexist, Dorothy.

\psi is just \psi. Take it like a conversion factor if you like and
can understand the math of what it represents. Or you could do a
dimensional analysis and try to find out if it has any physical
meaning.

Other than that, I think you should use the 'kiss principle' to re-
derive this form of math from basics and see where it leads you.
Don't pre-suppose anything (Yeah. Like that's going to happen).
From: eric gisse on
Albertito wrote:
[...]

> div(\psi) = \phi
>
> Does \psi have any physical meaning?
> What name should we give to \psi?
>
> Thanks in advance

For someone who has been posting so much about Newton and Maxwell's
equations, the obvious seems to have eluded you.