From: Amir Ebrahimifard on
Hi
Considering that , "puts" always return "nil" why in below code the
highlighted part of code just print the contents of
"first,second,third,forth" variable ? for example content of "first"
variable is "nil" and when we type "puts first" ruby must execute 2
times "nil" .

def test1 number
puts "test1"*number
end

def test2 number
"test2"*number
end

def test3 number
"test3"*number
puts "test3"*number
end

def test4 number
puts "test4"*number
"test4"*number
end

puts "-------------------1-------------------"

first=test1(1)
second=test2(2)
third=test3(3)
forth=test4(4)

puts "-------------------2-------------------"

first
second
third
forth

puts "-------------------3-------------------"

From: David A. Black on
Hi --

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Amir Ebrahimifard wrote:

> Hi
> Considering that , "puts" always return "nil" why in below code the
> highlighted part of code just print the contents of
> "first,second,third,forth" variable ? for example content of "first"
> variable is "nil" and when we type "puts first" ruby must execute 2
> times "nil" .
>
> def test1 number
> puts "test1"*number
> end
>
> def test2 number
> "test2"*number
> end
>

> def test3 number
> "test3"*number
> puts "test3"*number
> end
>

> def test4 number
> puts "test4"*number
> "test4"*number
> end
>
> puts "-------------------1-------------------"
>
> first=test1(1)
> second=test2(2)
> third=test3(3)
> forth=test4(4)
>
> puts "-------------------2-------------------"
>
> first
> second
> third
> forth
>
> puts "-------------------3-------------------"
>
> **************
> puts first *
> puts second * <= This is highlighted part of code
> puts third *
> puts forth *
> **************

I don't think I understand your question. Can you show the output you
get, and the output you expect?

David

--
David A. Black, Senior Developer, Cyrus Innovation Inc.

The Ruby training with Black/Brown/McAnally
Compleat Philadelphia, PA, October 1-2, 2010
Rubyist http://www.compleatrubyist.com

From: brabuhr on
On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Amir Ebrahimifard <amiref(a)ymail.com> wrote:
> Considering that , "puts" always return "nil" why in below code the
> highlighted part of code just print the contents of
> "first,second,third,forth" variable ? for example content of "first"
> variable is "nil" and when we type "puts first" ruby must execute 2
> times "nil" .

What output do you expect to see?