From: waldofj on
On Jul 31, 6:09 pm, kenseto <kens...(a)erinet.com> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 5:15 pm, waldofj <wald...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 26, 5:12 pm, kenseto <kens...(a)erinet.com> wrote:
>
> > > Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
> > > When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
> > > hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
> > > simultaneously.
> > > Question for the SRians: does this mean that according to the SR
> > > concept of relativity of simultaneity M will see the light fronts
> > > arrive at him simultaneously?
> > > Since there are an infinite number of pairs of strikes that can cause
> > > the light fronts to arrive at M' non-simultaneously, does that means
> > > that there are infinite pairs of strikes that M will see their light
> > > fronts to arrive at him simultaneously?????
>
> > > Ken Seto
>
> > To someone with the mindset that simultaneity is absolute (you) this
> > may seem like a reasonable question. To someone with the mindset that
> > simultaneity is not absolute (SRian) this question is ambiguous and
> > can not be answered.
>
> Hey idiot why not? If simultaneity is relative and if M' sees the
> strikes to be non-simultaneous then M must see the strikes to be
> simultaneous to conform with the SR concept of relativity of
> simultaneity....right?
> Ken Seto

In the first sentence you describe three separate events, the
coincidence of M and M', and the two lightening strikes. You don't
give any more information as to their relative timing. The implication
is that they all happen "at the same time". But what does that mean?
If one assumes that simultaneity is absolute then there's no problem
and the question can be answered. The problem is the answer ultimately
means abandoning the constancy of the speed of light.
If, on the other hand, one assumes that simultaneity is not absolute
then you have to specify the frame in which the events are
simultaneous. You haven't done that here which makes the question
ambiguous and unanswerable.
That's the whole point of the original train gedanken, to specify the
frame where the events are simultaneous and then see how that
translates to other frames.
The constancy of the speed of light has been verified experimentally,
a fact you choose to ignore. Like I said, just bury your head in the
sand and pretend what you don't see doesn't exist. It's certainly your
right to do so but I just don't understand why you insist on ignoring
reality.
From: kenseto on
On Jul 31, 8:12 pm, waldofj <wald...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 6:09 pm, kenseto <kens...(a)erinet.com> wrote:

> > > To someone with the mindset that simultaneity is absolute (you) this
> > > may seem like a reasonable question. To someone with the mindset that
> > > simultaneity is not absolute (SRian) this question is ambiguous and
> > > can not be answered.
>
> > Hey idiot why not? If simultaneity is relative and if M' sees the
> > strikes to be non-simultaneous then M must see the strikes to be
> > simultaneous to conform with the SR concept of relativity of
> > simultaneity....right?
> > Ken Seto
>
> In the first sentence you describe three separate events, the
> coincidence of M and M', and the two lightening strikes. You don't
> give any more information as to their relative timing. The implication
> is that they all happen "at the same time".

No there is no such implication. My point is that M' sees the light
fronts arrive at him non-simultaneously....does this mean that M will
see these light fronts arrive at him simultaneously? The answer to
this question is NO. Since there are infinite pairs of light fronts
that arrives at M' non-simultaneously...does this mean that M will see
these light fronts arrive at him simultaneously? The answer to this
question is again no. What does this mean? It means that M and M'
agree on all situations when M' sees the light fronts to be non-
simultaneous M will also sees the same lighht fronts to be non-
simultaneous. This refute the SR claim that simultaneity is relative.
There is one set of light fronts that M' will see them arrive at him
simultaneously. Does M will see these light fronts arrive at him
simultaneously? The answer to this question is yes. Why?
1. The strikes must happened simultaneously before M' can see its
light front arrive at him simultaneously.
2. at the time when the strikes happened simultaneously M is at equal
distance from the strike points (the ends of the train).
3. The speed of light in the M frame is isotropic.
4. The speed of light is independent of the motion of the ends of the
train.
5. therefore M must also see the light fronts from these strikes
arrive at him simultaneously.

Again these arguements refute the SR claim that simultnaeity is
relative.

Ken Seto

From: Inertial on
On Jul 31, 8:12 pm, waldofj <wald...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> In the first sentence you describe three separate events, the
> coincidence of M and M', and the two lightening strikes. You don't
> give any more information as to their relative timing.

No .. he said clearly "when":

===
When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes hits
the ends of the train
===

That means "at the same time". Three events at the same time (though it
wasn't made clear in which frame they were the same time, that could be
implied from context)

From: kenseto on
On Aug 1, 10:04 am, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 8:12 pm, waldofj <wald...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > In the first sentence you describe three separate events, the
> > coincidence of M and M', and the two lightening strikes. You don't
> > give any more information as to their relative timing.
>
> No .. he said clearly "when":
>
> ===
> When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes hits
> the ends of the train
> ===
>
> That means "at the same time".  Three events at the same time (though it
> wasn't made clear in which frame they were the same time, that could be
> implied from context)

No idiot....if the light fronts arrive at M' non-simultaneously, the
strikes cannot occur at the same time. Why? Because M' is at equal
distance from the strikes (the ends of the train and the speed of
light in the train is isotropic.

ken Seto