From: kenseto on
Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
simultaneously.
Question for the SRians: does this mean that according to the SR
concept of relativity of simultaneity M will see the light fronts
arrive at him simultaneously?
Since there are an infinite number of pairs of strikes that can cause
the light fronts to arrive at M' non-simultaneously, does that means
that there are infinite pairs of strikes that M will see their light
fronts to arrive at him simultaneously?????

Ken Seto
From: Sam Wormley on
On 7/26/10 4:12 PM, kenseto wrote:
> Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
> When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
> hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
> simultaneously.

Ken, order of event is observer dependent and nicely presented
in the 30-minute episode of the Mechanical Universe you can watch
on your computer!

The Mechanical Universe series.
http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html

42. The Lorentz Transformation
If the speed of light is to be the same for all observers, then
the length of a meter stick, or the rate of a ticking clock,
depends on who measures it.

Lesson 42: The Lorentz Transformation

If the speed of light is to be the same for all inertial observers (as
indicated by the Michelson-Morley experiment) the equations for time and
space are not difficult to find. But what do they mean? They mean that
the length of a meter stick, or the rate of ticking of a clock depends
on who measure it.

Text Assignment: Chapter 46

Instructional Objectives

Be able to use the Lorentz Transformation to work problems relating time
or space intervals in different reference frames.
Be able to give some of the hypothetical explanations put forward to
account for the Michelson-Morley experiment.
Be able to discuss the concept of length contraction.
Be able to understand and use spacetime diagrams.
Be able to define and discuss the concept of simultaneity.
Be able to define and discuss clock synchronization.

From: kenseto on
On Jul 26, 5:18 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/10 4:12 PM, kenseto wrote:
>
> > Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
> > When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
> > hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
> > simultaneously.
>
>    Ken, order of event is observer dependent and nicely presented
>    in the 30-minute episode of the Mechanical Universe you can watch
>    on your computer!

Hey wormy....why don't you answer my questions???

From: JT on
On 26 Juli, 23:18, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/10 4:12 PM, kenseto wrote:
>
> > Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
> > When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
> > hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
> > simultaneously.
>
>    Ken, order of event is observer dependent and nicely presented
>    in the 30-minute episode of the Mechanical Universe you can watch
>    on your computer!
>
>    The Mechanical Universe series.
>      http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html
>
>    42. The Lorentz Transformation
>      If the speed of light is to be the same for all observers, then
>      the length of a meter stick, or the rate of a ticking clock,
>      depends on who measures it.
>
> Lesson 42: The Lorentz Transformation
>
> If the speed of light is to be the same for all inertial observers (as
> indicated by the Michelson-Morley experiment) the equations for time and
> space are not difficult to find. But what do they mean? They mean that
> the length of a meter stick, or the rate of ticking of a clock depends
> on who measure it.
>
> Text Assignment: Chapter 46
>
> Instructional Objectives
>
> Be able to use the Lorentz Transformation to work problems relating time
> or space intervals in different reference frames.
> Be able to give some of the hypothetical explanations put forward to
> account for the Michelson-Morley experiment.
> Be able to discuss the concept of length contraction.
> Be able to understand and use spacetime diagrams.
> Be able to define and discuss the concept of simultaneity.
> Be able to define and discuss clock synchronization.

It is childish to resort to recitations from book Sam, try to argue
the case would be more proper.

JT
From: Sam Wormley on
On 7/26/10 4:21 PM, kenseto wrote:
> On Jul 26, 5:18 pm, Sam Wormley<sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/26/10 4:12 PM, kenseto wrote:
>>
>>> Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
>>> When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
>>> hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
>>> simultaneously.
>>
>> Ken, order of event is observer dependent and nicely presented
>> in the 30-minute episode of the Mechanical Universe you can watch
>> on your computer!
>
> Hey wormy....why don't you answer my questions???

The Mechanical Universe episode answers the question in a
clear and concise fashion! And with a bit of humor!