From: JT on
On 26 Juli, 23:58, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 4:22 pm, JT <jonas.thornv...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > >    Ken, order of event is observer dependent and nicely presented
> > >    in the 30-minute episode of the Mechanical Universe you can watch
> > >    on your computer!
>
> > >    The Mechanical Universe series.
> > >      http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html
>
> > >    42. The Lorentz Transformation
> > >      If the speed of light is to be the same for all observers, then
> > >      the length of a meter stick, or the rate of a ticking clock,
> > >      depends on who measures it.
>
> > > Lesson 42: The Lorentz Transformation
>
> > > If the speed of light is to be the same for all inertial observers (as
> > > indicated by the Michelson-Morley experiment) the equations for time and
> > > space are not difficult to find. But what do they mean? They mean that
> > > the length of a meter stick, or the rate of ticking of a clock depends
> > > on who measure it.
>
> > > Text Assignment: Chapter 46
>
> > > Instructional Objectives
>
> > > Be able to use the Lorentz Transformation to work problems relating time
> > > or space intervals in different reference frames.
> > > Be able to give some of the hypothetical explanations put forward to
> > > account for the Michelson-Morley experiment.
> > > Be able to discuss the concept of length contraction.
> > > Be able to understand and use spacetime diagrams.
> > > Be able to define and discuss the concept of simultaneity.
> > > Be able to define and discuss clock synchronization.
>
> > It is childish to resort to recitations from book Sam, try to argue
> > the case would be more proper.
>
> > JT
>
> You mean to try to teach you would be more proper?
> No, it would not be more proper.
> What would be more proper is you learning about relativity from a good
> reference about relativity. Like a book. Or a class.
> Looking for an education about relativity here is not proper at all.- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

There is nothing proper about relativity it uses noneequivalent units
as they were the same. It does not have a thoughthru geometrical base.
It can not even handle two simultaneous transmissions towards earth,
without to resort to Euclidian geometry using pet name for relative
velocity, AKA closing speed.

JT

From: PD on
On Jul 26, 5:03 pm, JT <jonas.thornv...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 Juli, 23:58, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It is childish to resort to recitations from book Sam, try to argue
> > > the case would be more proper.
>
> > > JT
>
> > You mean to try to teach you would be more proper?
> > No, it would not be more proper.
> > What would be more proper is you learning about relativity from a good
> > reference about relativity. Like a book. Or a class.
> > Looking for an education about relativity here is not proper at all.- Dölj citerad text -
>
> > - Visa citerad text -
>
> There is nothing proper about relativity it uses noneequivalent units
> as they were the same.

Equivalence of units is determined by calibration against a LOCAL
standard process.
It is NOT established by what you think it should be.
Sorry, but it just isn't.

> It does not have a thoughthru geometrical base.
> It can not even handle two simultaneous transmissions towards earth,
> without to resort to Euclidian geometry using pet name for relative
> velocity, AKA closing speed.

There's jargon in any field, that you have to learn in order to
discuss anything in the field. This isn't a trap or a failing. It's
just a fact of life. If you don't want to have to learn jargon, then
stop complaining about it being confusing.

From: Sam Wormley on
On 7/26/10 5:03 PM, JT wrote:
> There is nothing proper about relativity it uses noneequivalent units
> as they were the same. It does not have a thoughthru geometrical base.
> It can not even handle two simultaneous transmissions towards earth,
> without to resort to Euclidian geometry using pet name for relative
> velocity, AKA closing speed.
>
> JT

Pure gibberish Jonas!
From: Inertial on
"kenseto" wrote in message news:eee3d27b-1f77-4145-b190-70e63a1b2122(a)q22g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

Another one you're going to start lying about I'm sure once correct SR answers are given

> Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:

So I guess we assuming the one shown here....

http://www.bartleby.com/173/9.html

v—> |--------M’-------| Train
=========A========M========B========== Embankment

>When M and M' are coincide with each other......
>two lightning strikes
>hits the ends of the train

Of course, one needs to specify 'when' in which frame? 'when' at two different places is frame dependent. So I assume you mean ‘when’ in the embankment frame. So lightning strikes at A and B at the same time according to the embankment.

> and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
>simultaneously.

Yeup. Light from B hits M’ first...

......> <...... Light
v—> |-------M’-------| Train
=========A========M========B========== Embankment

And light from A hits M’ second...

................> Light
v—> |-------M’-------| Train
=========A========M========B========== Embankment

I don’t see any modification from the usual gedanken in what you say

> Question for the SRians: does this mean that according to the SR
> concept of relativity of simultaneity M will see the light fronts
> arrive at him simultaneously?

Of course it does .. M is halfway between the source of light (A and B) at all times (it is not moving, like M’ is), and the lightning struck the points A and B simultaneously in the embankment frame, so the light travels the same distance and the same speed starting at the same time and so arrive at the same time. Very simple.

> Since there are an infinite number of pairs of strikes that can cause
> the light fronts to arrive at M' non-simultaneously,

No .. only one as you’ve described it .. where the strikes are at the ends of the train (A and B) when the lighting strikes at the same time that M is adjacent M’ in the embankment frame.

If you think there the description describes more than one possible pair of strikes .. please show me.

> does that means
> that there are infinite pairs of strikes that M will see their light
> fronts to arrive at him simultaneously?????

No .. as there is only one
From: eric gisse on
kenseto wrote:

[...]

I got a better puzzle. Why does the kenseto keep posting despite 15 amply-
documented years of not understanding relativity?