From: Sam Wormley on
On 7/26/10 4:22 PM, JT wrote:
> On 26 Juli, 23:18, Sam Wormley<sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/26/10 4:12 PM, kenseto wrote:
>>
>>> Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
>>> When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
>>> hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
>>> simultaneously.
>>
>> Ken, order of event is observer dependent and nicely presented
>> in the 30-minute episode of the Mechanical Universe you can watch
>> on your computer!
>>
>> The Mechanical Universe series.
>> http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html
>>
>> 42. The Lorentz Transformation
>> If the speed of light is to be the same for all observers, then
>> the length of a meter stick, or the rate of a ticking clock,
>> depends on who measures it.
>>
>> Lesson 42: The Lorentz Transformation
>>
>> If the speed of light is to be the same for all inertial observers (as
>> indicated by the Michelson-Morley experiment) the equations for time and
>> space are not difficult to find. But what do they mean? They mean that
>> the length of a meter stick, or the rate of ticking of a clock depends
>> on who measure it.
>>
>> Text Assignment: Chapter 46
>>
>> Instructional Objectives
>>
>> Be able to use the Lorentz Transformation to work problems relating time
>> or space intervals in different reference frames.
>> Be able to give some of the hypothetical explanations put forward to
>> account for the Michelson-Morley experiment.
>> Be able to discuss the concept of length contraction.
>> Be able to understand and use spacetime diagrams.
>> Be able to define and discuss the concept of simultaneity.
>> Be able to define and discuss clock synchronization.
>
> It is childish to resort to recitations from book Sam, try to argue
> the case would be more proper.
>
> JT

The Mechanical Universe episode answers the question in a
clear and concise fashion! And with a bit of humor! That's
why I posted it, JT. Get with the program, as you might
learn something.

From: JT on
On 26 Juli, 23:53, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/10 4:22 PM, JT wrote:

> >>     Ken, order of event is observer dependent and nicely presented
> >>     in the 30-minute episode of the Mechanical Universe you can watch
> >>     on your computer!
>
> >>     The Mechanical Universe series.
> >>      http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html
>
> >>     42. The Lorentz Transformation
> >>       If the speed of light is to be the same for all observers, then
> >>       the length of a meter stick, or the rate of a ticking clock,
> >>       depends on who measures it.
>
> >> Lesson 42: The Lorentz Transformation
>
> >> If the speed of light is to be the same for all inertial observers (as
> >> indicated by the Michelson-Morley experiment) the equations for time and
> >> space are not difficult to find. But what do they mean? They mean that
> >> the length of a meter stick, or the rate of ticking of a clock depends
> >> on who measure it.
>
> >> Text Assignment: Chapter 46
>
> >> Instructional Objectives
>
> >> Be able to use the Lorentz Transformation to work problems relating time
> >> or space intervals in different reference frames.
> >> Be able to give some of the hypothetical explanations put forward to
> >> account for the Michelson-Morley experiment.
> >> Be able to discuss the concept of length contraction.
> >> Be able to understand and use spacetime diagrams.
> >> Be able to define and discuss the concept of simultaneity.
> >> Be able to define and discuss clock synchronization.
>
> > It is childish to resort to recitations from book Sam, try to argue
> > the case would be more proper.
>
> > JT
>
>    The Mechanical Universe episode answers the question in a
>    clear and concise fashion! And with a bit of humor! That's
>    why I posted it, JT. Get with the program, as you might
>    learn something.- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

I think i watched it once, maybe i should take a peek again.

JT
From: PD on
On Jul 26, 4:12 pm, kenseto <kens...(a)erinet.com> wrote:
> Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
> When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
> hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
> simultaneously.
> Question for the SRians: does this mean that according to the SR
> concept of relativity of simultaneity M will see the light fronts
> arrive at him simultaneously?

Not necessarily. It depends on the speed of the train.

But for a given pair of lightning strikes, there will be at least ONE
reference frame with an observer M" for whom the light fronts arrive
simultaneously.

It will also be possible to find a pair of lightning strikes such that
they arrive at M' non-simultaneously and at M simultaneously. Just
maybe not the pair you're talking about.

> Since there are an infinite number of pairs of strikes that can cause
> the light fronts to arrive at M' non-simultaneously, does that means
> that there are infinite pairs of strikes that M will see their light
> fronts to arrive at him simultaneously?????

No. Just one pair.

Idiot.

Ineducable idiot.

Shamelessly self-immolating, ineducable idiot.

> Ken Seto

In case you thought you had some brilliant insight here, Ken, no. You
are asking a 6th grade question.
From: PD on
On Jul 26, 4:22 pm, JT <jonas.thornv...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 Juli, 23:18, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 7/26/10 4:12 PM, kenseto wrote:
>
> > > Einstein's train gedanken is modified as follows:
> > > When M and M' are coincide with each other......two lightning strikes
> > > hits the ends of the train and the light fronts arrive at M' non-
> > > simultaneously.
>
> >    Ken, order of event is observer dependent and nicely presented
> >    in the 30-minute episode of the Mechanical Universe you can watch
> >    on your computer!
>
> >    The Mechanical Universe series.
> >      http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html
>
> >    42. The Lorentz Transformation
> >      If the speed of light is to be the same for all observers, then
> >      the length of a meter stick, or the rate of a ticking clock,
> >      depends on who measures it.
>
> > Lesson 42: The Lorentz Transformation
>
> > If the speed of light is to be the same for all inertial observers (as
> > indicated by the Michelson-Morley experiment) the equations for time and
> > space are not difficult to find. But what do they mean? They mean that
> > the length of a meter stick, or the rate of ticking of a clock depends
> > on who measure it.
>
> > Text Assignment: Chapter 46
>
> > Instructional Objectives
>
> > Be able to use the Lorentz Transformation to work problems relating time
> > or space intervals in different reference frames.
> > Be able to give some of the hypothetical explanations put forward to
> > account for the Michelson-Morley experiment.
> > Be able to discuss the concept of length contraction.
> > Be able to understand and use spacetime diagrams.
> > Be able to define and discuss the concept of simultaneity.
> > Be able to define and discuss clock synchronization.
>
> It is childish to resort to recitations from book Sam, try to argue
> the case would be more proper.
>
> JT

You mean to try to teach you would be more proper?
No, it would not be more proper.
What would be more proper is you learning about relativity from a good
reference about relativity. Like a book. Or a class.
Looking for an education about relativity here is not proper at all.
From: Sam Wormley on
On 7/26/10 4:56 PM, JT wrote:
> On 26 Juli, 23:53, Sam Wormley<sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It is childish to resort to recitations from book Sam, try to argue
>>> the case would be more proper.
>>
>>> JT
>>
>> The Mechanical Universe episode answers the question in a
>> clear and concise fashion! And with a bit of humor! That's
>> why I posted it, JT. Get with the program, as you might
>> learn something.- D�lj citerad text -
>>
>> - Visa citerad text -
>
> I think i watched it once, maybe i should take a peek again.
>
> JT

indubitably